• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Very Abstract Question (0 level spell vs. feat)

The_Universe

First Post
Roughly, how powerful are, say, a 0 level spell and a feat when compared to each other?

In lieu of a feat, could you grant a character access to a 0 level spell without unbalancing the game?

For example, in the Book of Exalted Deeds, there is a feat called "Nimbus of Light" which grants PCs (if allowed to take it) a constant ability roughly as powerful as Light, in addition to giving the character bonuses to a couple of skills.

Granted, the above example is an [Exalted] feat, which generally sets it a little above the usual feat choices. But, I thought it was wise to include it for comparison.

So, what do you think?

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
Spelltouched feats seem to be similar to what I'm looking for, but not exactly.

The thought that brought on the thread was wondering if a character could take something like Detect Magic as a feat, and be able to use it at will...? Light is the other example that immediately came to mind.

But, even if you look at some of the more overt 0 level spells, I'm not sure that it would effect the game much to allow someone to produce Acid Orb or a Ray of Frost at will if they wanted to waste a feat on it.

More thoughts?

I think, in a lot of ways, this would depend on the spell... but, at the same time, I can't think of a lot of 0-level spells that would unhinge the game if a character were given access to them as feats...

However, would you consider it a spell like ability? And, second, would there be a limit on how many times a character could manifest this spell? Or could I, say, create water every 6 seconds for an entire day?

dreaded_beast

First Post
I think it also depends on the frequency of use and what spells are involved.

For example, for some campaigns having a constant detect magic on would be unbalancing. Or having the ability to cure 1 hp at will is pretty powerful ( I believe this is a 0-level orison)

If it was something like 3/day, then maybe not. In some cases, maybe fairly weak when compared to a feat, IMO.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
There's a precedent for a feat giving the character three 0-level spells once per day each, so a feat that gave only one cantrip could give more uses per day and still be OK.

The_Universe

First Post
If you don't mind my asking you to elaborate, how many times per day would be apropriate for a single cantrip/orison? 3/day? Constantly/At will is right out?

Thanks! :D

The_Universe said:
If you don't mind my asking you to elaborate, how many times per day would be apropriate for a single cantrip/orison? 3/day? Constantly/At will is right out?

Thanks! :D

Given that the precedent is 3 cantrips at 1/day each, I'd say 1 cantrip at 3/day is not beyond the bounds of reason. I certainly would not make it at will, though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I already allow orisons to be gained via a feat (use = Wis-mod times per day) based on the fact the spells are described as 'Feats of Magic' in the core rules. It hasn't been a problem and goes someway towards making heroes who have inherent powers rather than being equipment-dependent

I'd even considered letting cantrips and higher level spells be taken (say two feats gets a lv-1 spell) but haven't yet...

Remove ads