• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A weighty issue

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I love equipment lists that are full of junk to purchase and carry around with you!

My favourite encumbrance system was from RQ, where anything that you could carry easily in 1 hand was ENC1, in 2 hands was ENC 2, and built out logically from there. Didn't sweat the small stuff, but gave people real choices in terms of how much they wanted to carry, and (critically, to my mind) included bulk and not mere weight.

Well technically, early "weights" in D&D were supposed to include bulk, even if they were listed in "coin weights" or "pounds". That is one reasons why the weapons, especially the big ones, had such inflated "weights". (This led to a whole bunch of gamers not understanding weapon weights, including some of the people, apparently, who wrote later versions, but that's another story. :))

That nitpick aside, I agree that something like the RQ system would be preferable to what we typically get. However, given that people selectively ignore encumbrance sometimes, I'd really like to see it be staged. Instead of all or nothing encumbrance, you'd do something like this:

Stage 1: Eyeball everything.

Stage 2: Armor is heavy, as are big weapons. Eyeball everything else.

Stage 3: (Default) You explicitly track armor, weapons (except ammo), and any other major weight (e.g. a bag full of gold coins). Everything else is done by containers. That is, if you've got a bag that holds "10 small items", then you don't worry about the individual weight. You give the bag an average encumbrance, and if 10 flasks of oil weigh more than 10 potion vials, no big deal. That's why you don't care about ammo. You are already tracking the quiver or bag.

Stage 4: Track ammo and other small consumables because you are into managing these resources. You might still use the stage 3 method for temporary things, like a bag full of small art objects. A key thing here is using up what you take into the danger area, so that you can fill up the empty space with what you want to take out.

Then if equipment is rated appropriately, everyone can use whatever stage they want, when they want, with no other changes to the game. All those little items have individual encumbrance values, but unless you are using stage 4, you don't care.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Rules for encumbrance are important to have in the core rules. They're easy to ignore when they're present but difficult to add when they're missing.

Raw weight works well enough, though I might give some items an "unwieldy" quality and have a rule that says you can only carry so many unwieldy items in addition to weight.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Okay, so Equipment == Treasure.

Encumbrance, like cost, availability/rarity, composition, etc. is one means of controlling how much in resources characters have with them (or in easy access to). It enables balancing of challenges to character statistical ability.

I COMPLETELY understand how boring and tedious it can be to spend hours making a PC. I want to roll and play ASAP. I run OD&D, which amounts to 7 x 3d6 for abilities and coin, pick a race, class, alignment, name, some languages, and finally buy goods and equipment. That buying phase is what takes time, sometimes 10 minutes even for fast players (and if one is waiting, 10 minutes is a looong time). So I suggest adding parcels for quick buying as a player option. They can even swap out items for whatever's fastest.

I do not agree we should simply ditch encumbrance. To me, we might as well ditch cost values for equipment or tracking treasure itself.

BobTheNob

First Post
I do not agree we should simply ditch encumbrance. To me, we might as well ditch cost values for equipment or tracking treasure itself.

Oh baby, your singing a song that I love. Yes, Yes and a thousand times yes.

I would love to see some way of abstracting equipment in general. Stop this "I buy a rope, 10 spikes , 20 ration, 20 arrows, 3 healing potions ... yada yada yada yada" Hours of pointless book keeping that results in irrelevant results as players never seem to be without the equipment they need because they have said "I will buy" and as DM i havent resorted to cheesy "get rid of equipment" tactics.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
After we ditch writing treasure down on our sheets in D&D are we to stop killing monsters too?

Collecting gold and magic for example is pretty basic to the game. Other options can be had for limiting it then encumbrance, but ditching treasure collecting altogether is unlikely to be optional.

Kynn

Adventurer
After we ditch writing treasure down on our sheets in D&D are we to stop killing monsters too?

Collecting gold and magic for example is pretty basic to the game. Other options can be had for limiting it then encumbrance, but ditching treasure collecting altogether is unlikely to be optional.

This is 5e, everything is modular. Collecting gold (and magic) may be basic to SOME games, but not necessarily to all games.

If you take a look at something like Lord of the Rings, there's not really that much treasure-grubbing. D&D Next should be able, without the game breaking, to model that kind of play (even if it's not the default assumption).

All previous editions of D&D can be run without treasure -- it's easier in 4e than in 1e, even.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
This is 5e, everything is modular. Collecting gold (and magic) may be basic to SOME games, but not necessarily to all games.

If you take a look at something like Lord of the Rings, there's not really that much treasure-grubbing. D&D Next should be able, without the game breaking, to model that kind of play (even if it's not the default assumption).

All previous editions of D&D can be run without treasure -- it's easier in 4e than in 1e, even.
I'm not talking about treasure grubbing, treasure as the purpose of play, or spending hours dividing it up. Perhaps a better term to use is Power. If you're not expected to write down Powers (aka treasure in my parlance) on your PC sheet, why have one?

Am I to expect D&D 5E to not require character sheets of any kind in the default core game? Modular or not, is that a reasonable design expectation to unify the community?

Remove ads