• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A word of caution to the " put it all in a module" arguments

Krensus

First Post
Also, small town and there's a pool of only about 20-30 players to choose from with all the assorted drama that goes with it and the scheduling nightmares that are everyone's day jobs and family obligations. And some of those players are even worse than the ones I have.

If your players are so bad and annoying, you may just want to not game locally. No gaming is usually better than bad gaming. What exactly do they do to get under your skin?

Abstruse

Legend
If your players are so bad and annoying, you may just want to not game locally. No gaming is usually better than bad gaming. What exactly do they do to get under your skin?
The good outweighs the bad, and "no gaming is better than bad gaming" doesn't work when you can go years between campaigns. Then it's just an itch you can never scratch.

My players aren't really that bad overall. But over a 6 month long campaign meeting weekly for 4-7 hour sessions, those little things can really grate on your nerves. And the experiences I was talking about have been common in pretty much every gaming group I've ever been in all over the country.

But this isn't my group therapy session, this is a discussion of D&D Next. Back to the talk about modules!

Why do you think that? They are going into this with exactly that mindset concerning the modularity of the game. I would be surprised if they were suddenly silent and mysterious in explaining them in the actual books themselves.

Simply put, they never really done it before. RPGs in general never really detailed the assumptions behind playing them. 3.5 is balanced assuming you play it as AD&D with clearer writing. 4E encounter balance is meant to tell you how difficult an encounter is, not that all encounters should be easy. And how many people thought gold for XP was dumb because they didn't realize that the rule was designed to encourage them to play as treasure hunters who use lateral thinking to bypass obstacles?

Hopefully, I'm wrong and they'll explain the assumptions behind their rules so I'll know when to break a rule.

Remove ads