• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) A5E Arcanaloth equivalent?

Helena Real

bit.ly/ato-qs
As per the title, since I've become enamoured with the monsters in the Monstrous Menagerie, I was wondering, is there any equivalent to O5E Arcanaloth? I'm running Curse of Strahd and I'm about to hit The Amber Temple, so I may need that statblock soon :)

Davies

Legend
As per the title, since I've become enamoured with the monsters in the Monstrous Menagerie, I was wondering, is there any equivalent to O5E Arcanaloth? I'm running Curse of Strahd and I'm about to hit The Amber Temple, so I may need that statblock soon :)
I would suggest just using an Archmage's stats (pp. 480-1), since the monster in that scenario is posing as a wizard, switching out spells to give the encounter the feel that you want.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, sure. Maybe someone else can use it then in their own games 😊
I will try to get it done before the weekend so you have time to review and I can make adjustments if needed. Do you have any particular spells you want it have / use? I will give it the levelUp treatment and have some of the "signature" spells in the actions.

Helena Real

bit.ly/ato-qs
I will try to get it done before the weekend so you have time to review and I can make adjustments if needed. Do you have any particular spells you want it have / use? I will give it the levelUp treatment and have some of the "signature" spells in the actions.
Thanks so much! I don't have any real preference regarding spells and I definitely love the signature spells as actions, so I'll be happy to see that 😊

dave2008

Legend
Here is my first draft: Arcanaloth

Let me know what you think. I am completely open to making adustments. All spells are hyperlinked to the LevelUp A5e.Tools (which is a pretty awesome resource) for ease of use. Also, I still need to check the CR and do some fine tuning.

Finally, @Morrus: when making this monster I noticed something a bit strange about the spell finger of death. The LevelUp version doesn't allow a saving throw, but the O5e version does. Was this intentional or an omission? They are otherwise exactly the same, but that seems like a fairly significant difference IMO.

Remove ads