• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aaron Litz's (maybe not so cruddy after all!) art for his new character

Pbartender

First Post
I like the style... I reminds me much of the new Batman/Superman/Justice League cartoons.

That first face-forward sketch has a beautiful expression for an elf, with that obdurate mouth and the slightly cockled eyebrow he just oozes that sort of civilized disdain one can only accumulate over the course of centuries.

...And leave the eyes blank. I don't think it'd look quite right with pupils.

Aaron L

Hero
Pbartender said:
I like the style... I reminds me much of the new Batman/Superman/Justice League cartoons.

Thank you very much! I take that as a very high compliment, as I am a great admirer of Bruce Timm's style, and, since this has been the way I've drawn since at least early high school (getting better at it, but not altering the basics), it was influenced by his work on Batman:TAS without my really realizing it, (because I absolutely loved that show, and all of the DC Animated Universe shows that have come out of it.

I've actually had my style compared to Timm's before, by a very close friend of mine who actually had the guts to follow through on our mutual dream of becoming artists, and went on to study Graphic Art or Illustration at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh (not exactly sure what the specifics are), and I always greatly appreciate it!

That first face-forward sketch has a beautiful expression for an elf, with that obdurate mouth and the slightly cockled eyebrow he just oozes that sort of civilized disdain one can only accumulate over the course of centuries.

...And leave the eyes blank. I don't think it'd look quite right with pupils.

Thanks again! That's exactly what I was going for, a slightly Spock-esque expression. I had hoped it came across looking OK, and if you can see it then I must have succeeded! Civilized disdain from centuries of life is exactly what I was after, as the character is 456 years old (we use 1st Edition ages for elves in our games :))

And I agree about the eyes. When I try to make eyes anything but blank, especially on elves, they come out looking really unnatural and unnerving.

PS - I'm going to have to go back and rework the color scheme for his shield, as I've decided he's a Sapphire kind of guy, and is going to use azure as his personal color, and sapphires as his personal symbol and method of arcane instrumentality. Going to take the Gem Magic feat from Magic of Faerun, and use sapphires in all his magic items and such, and use blue enameling as highlights on his armor and shield. This character is actually a renowned artist himself, so I am going to get very detailed with all of his fashion and armaments, as he will be very specific about what he wears and carries into battle (even more so than most elves!) and take part (and maybe make a nuisance of himself about it) in the creation of all of his weapons and armor.

Last edited:

Remove ads