• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aasimar and ECL confusion

DethStryke

Explorer
I apologize in advance if this is an old, repeated topic. I've searched the WotC message boards and here for two days trying to find an example or tutorial that explains all of the details to no avail. Everyone was very helpful when I was trying to figure out Hit Points last time, so thanks again to those who remember me. :)

I'm playing an Aasimar Cleric that just leveled to 3rd level of cleric (6k exp, effectively ECL of 4). Going by Savage Species, Aasimar has an HD of 1 and Cleric 3 has an HD of 3. It shows that the ability point increase is by Character Level OR HD - raising 1 point every 4 HD or CL.

Do I gain the ability point at the current level or when my Cleric level is 4?

When do I gain feats? I am under the impression that I get them for every 3 ECL as per normal characters, but would only gain class specific feats at those class level (like fighter bonus feats, etc.).

Even better, does someone have a link or can reference where this is clearly explained for a planetouched creature? It seems to be a special difference rather than any other type of monster (like Drow, Fey, Lizardman, etc.). This is frankly driving me batty and really making me think I shouldn't have accepted the choice to play this race (the DM offered it for special story arcs - I typically play straight PHB race/class combos). I just haven't been able to wrap my brain around how it all works as a PC and, because of that, I don't think I'm asking the right questions when I do my searches on message boards or with google.

Thank you all for your help!

RigaMortus2

First Post
DethStryke said:
When do I gain feats? I am under the impression that I get them for every 3 ECL as per normal characters, but would only gain class specific feats at those class level (like fighter bonus feats, etc.).

I beleive it is every 3 Hit Dice that you gain.

Henry

Autoexreginated
DethStryke said:

If you are using 3.5 rules, then you gain them by hit dice, as explained in the Monster Manual, and the 3.5 SRD: "Feat Acquisition and Ability Score Increases: A monster’s total Hit Dice, not its ECL, govern its acquisition of feats and ability score increases." So an Aasimar Cleric 3 would gain a feat, but not the ability point.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you for 3E, because those rules kept changing so frequently as they were nailing down the most balanced version they could. Savage Species really was the beginning of ECL, but it is superceded by what's in the 3.5 rules, to my knowledge.

DethStryke

Explorer
Luckily for me, I only need 3.5 rules. :) I was looking in Savage Species because the 3.5 FAQ referred me to it!

Thank you both for the quick help!

isoChron

First Post
You are a 3HD creature, not 4HD. Your first level cleric substitutes the aasimar HD.
So you handle your character just like any other. Every 3 class levels you gain a feat, every 4 class levels you gain an ability point.
All that changes is the amount of EXP you need to advance a level. Shift that 1 level upwards.

SRD-Monsters as Races said:
If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less, or if it is a template creature, it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later).

EDIT: Source quoted

Last edited:

werk

First Post
You could create a term like Base Character Level (BCL).

BCL = Racial HD and/or Class Levels, used for determining advancement.

BCL + LA = ECL, used for determining challenge.

pawsplay

Hero
werk said:
You could create a term like Base Character Level (BCL).

BCL = Racial HD and/or Class Levels, used for determining advancement.

BCL + LA = ECL, used for determining challenge.

It's called "Hit Dice."

Remove ads