• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aasimar?? Half-Orcs??

Tripgnosis

First Post
Forgotten Realms Players guide mentions the Half-Orc and Deva (Assimar) races as 'supporting cast' but give no stats. Why? Same thing with Goliaths and Shades. I could understand the latter 2 being saved for later but why Half-Orcs and Devas? They're both more standard then any of the optional races in the MM.

lightblade

Explorer
Likely they'll both be in the PHBII. Half orcs have been confirmed (on cover art i believe) while Devas are also likely, since there was a D mentioned in one of those interviews with Mike Mearls, iirc.

elecgraystone

First Post
The 'why' is most likely that WOTC has already figured out what races they want in which books. I don't think that Half-Orc and Deva would do a good job showcasing the new class the swordmage. The gensai does that perfectly. it just makes sense for them both to be in the same book.

Tripgnosis

First Post
A friend of mine mentioned that the barbarian is supposed to be in the PHBII as well, another good reason to put the Half-Orcs there. And perhaps they're saving the Shades and Goliaths for the FRPGII??

Hermod

First Post
A friend of mine mentioned that the barbarian is supposed to be in the PHBII as well, another good reason to put the Half-Orcs there. And perhaps they're saving the Shades and Goliaths for the FRPGII??

I personally hope there's never a FRPGII. It's annoying enough that they're going to be a second PHB. Goliaths (never really liked them, but options are cool) and Shades should be in PHBII.

Staffan

Legend
Shades are in the FRCG as a template, and can only be applied to level 11+ monsters/NPCs. It's not something you're born as, it's something you're turned into as a reward for service to the Netherese empire.

Shades get the usual elite stuff (more hp, action points, defenses), dim nearby light, can teleport a bit but only to areas that aren't brightly lit, and get total concealment if they move around enough.

Howndawg

Explorer
The reason they are mentioned is so that when the PHBII comes out, players who like those races can get a quick look at how those races play out in the Realms without having to wait for a Dragon article. And yes, gnomes, goliaths, half-orcs, and shifters have all been confirmed for the PHBII while devas have strongly been insinuated.

Shadar-kai in theory can turn into Shades via the template. Which is horrific to think about.

Shades are not a true breeding race, merely an applied template now.
When we see Shadar-Kai written up as a PC race, (PH3?), I wouldn't expect this Shade->Shadar-Kai relationship to be expressed mechanically.

Remove ads