• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Abandoned: World Building

The_Universe

First Post
Because of the apparent choice of game (Abandoned), I'm starting to build a world from the ground up. While this is, in fact, among the more enjoyable parts of GMing, it's also a good place to get player input.

That's where you come in.

I want you, to the best of your ability, describe a place that you'd want to adventure. General terms are generally better than specific, detailed descriptions. They can be big, they can be small, they can be essentially without scale. It could be a town, a village, a forest, a swamp, a mountain, a temple, a dungeon, etc. - anywhere/anything you think should be part of a world of adventure.

I'll start.

Necropolis (currently unnamed)

Rather than tiny cemetaries all over the place, with a few larger plots and mausoleums near the larger population centers, it would be cool if, because of some long-ago cataclysm, the dead of the known world (at least the human dead) were gathered in one place. A sort of quarantine for corpses. It would have to be on an island or otherwise isolated land-mass, and would probably contain enormous crypts and mausoleums for important families, as well as smaller places for the less well-to-do. The treasures of the dead should be guarded in some way - graverobbers have to be stopped, somehow. There may be mundane guards, as well as magical wards of some sort or another.

Ultimately, this place can hide any number of secrets, artifacts, and curses, or even serve as a "home base" for a ravening army of the undead. If the cataclysm that led to the necropolis's creation has been forgotten, PC's might be forced to find out why the Necroplis exists, as well.

Just a thought. What do you want to see?

I would like to adventure on the HIGH SEAS!! I want to fight squid monsters and whales and stuff.

On a related note, I also think it would be fun to discover undiscovered island - be explorers, as well as adventurers.

Lastly, I really want to do some adventuring in the Dwarven mountain regions - I bet they have sweet gadgets.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
I just like variety. The "environment buffet" of Star Wars is sort of what I mean. :) And definately a huge walled city or two. I agree with the others, some naval travel would be nice. But maybe instead of a ship we could all have pegasii, just to spite Dave... :cool:

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
I just like variety. The "environment buffet" of Star Wars is sort of what I mean. :) And definately a huge walled city or two. I agree with the others, some naval travel would be nice. But maybe instead of a ship we could all have pegasii, just to spite Dave... :cool:
But he's not even here to feel the spite! How sad!

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Another thing I thought of... I'd like to have a very old feel to the game. Nothing in particular, but just the presence of lots of overgrown ruins would be very cool. Some ruins could have stories, others could be so old that nobody remembers what cataclysmic event spawned them. Given the brief world history you've given already, maybe the mortal races haven't been on their current world for this to happen. Or perhaps the ever-present ruins are remnants of the previous inhabitants. Who knows? Just a thought. :heh:

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Another thing I thought of... I'd like to have a very old feel to the game. Nothing in particular, but just the presence of lots of overgrown ruins would be very cool. Some ruins could have stories, others could be so old that nobody remembers what cataclysmic event spawned them. Given the brief world history you've given already, maybe the mortal races haven't been on their current world for this to happen. Or perhaps the ever-present ruins are remnants of the previous inhabitants. Who knows? Just a thought. :heh:
When the gods brought man to this world, they found it already inhabited by giants who served dark, devouring, menacing gods. With the gods' help, these giants were driven into the north, beyond the realms of the dwarves. However, they left many of their creations behind...

Also, man has been around for a couple of thousand years, at least. In this particular history, elves and dwarves were split off as seperate races from man after arriving in/on the world - and it's been more than a couple of generations for those longer-lived races.

Remove ads