Abbaye [still working on it but...]

Sidran

First Post
Abbaye
The Unaligned City

Ruler: The Grand Duke Ilesh Falinor, and the Council of Solana
Fealty; No one patron, loyalties lean towards the Grey King, and The Mistress of the Sea
Population; 98,000 ( 24, 000 in the city proper) (Halved when the harvest hits Egran)
Racial Composition Mostly humans, tainted blood, and mixed blood
Languages; Abbaili (Common), Islandspecht, Kesselan (Common)
Major Holdings outside the city; Ryddenwar, Anmwar, Tur-Giladroth, Mor-Brae-Nog
Major Resources: Lumber ( Ravenswood), Copper, and precious gems ( Diamonds, emeralds, and rubies)
City Guardsmen; the City Constabulary (3,000 men)
Military Presence; the Winged Legion( 12,000 men), and 24 galleys of war, and sloops
Major temples; the Vendicarus ( All patrons)
Major Noble Houses. Gandring, Brae, Angdom, Rosynd, Rydden, ap Donagan, L’rendol, Falinor, O’Shea, Llarion, Jaresh, Giladroth

Common Lore

On the crossroads of the Sea and Kessel the little city of Abbaye rests. Red roofed villas, and paved stone roads, the lofty golden spires of the Vendicarus, and the sparkling waters of the River Solarii, gathering at the juncture with the headway of the River Abbaili. Officially the Council of Solana, and the Grand duke pay tribute and allegiants to the Grey King, but in practice the Council finds excuses for delays of taxes, and by the shear stubbornness will not give in to the demands that the City root out the fiendish inheritance of the tainted blood. Indeed it is whispered in rumors throughout the Kessel that the Grand Duke is fey, and himself spawned of fiendish blood. For now though the Patrons have been busy elsewhere and have taken little notice of Abbaye and its don’t ask don’t tell policy.

The Land

Situated in the delta of the River Solarii, at its confluence with the River Abbaili (from which the City takes its name.) Abbaye rests on some of the most fertile land in all of the Kessel. Most of the cities visitors are farmers from the outlying ranch lands coming to the city for a good time, or for supplication at the Vendicarus. Many of the Citizens of the city show a strong heritage of the Northern Barbarian tribes, and one can still here a phrase reminiscent of the ancient north. Outside the city the Council holds a number of wooden, and stone forts in its dominion. Of these Mor-Brae-Nog just inside the Ravenswood is the oldest dating back far before the sinking of Kylatt into the sea. It is believed to be a keep of the Bygone era, and as with the sites in the Utalian Islands their have been certain discoveries of mysterious snake like statutes, and some of the Archivists that have traveled deep into the underground burial chambers of the Keep have found mummified remains that fit no known race. ( These remains were removed to Irrasibon where the Mistress has begun to study, and document them)

The People

To an outsider looking in the People of Abbaye seem to always be looking for a National Identity. The historical language of the region has been brought back, School systems have been put in place and in general the standard of living has risen to a high standard. There are far less destitute in Abbaye than in other cities of the Kessel, and the quality of health has risen due to new gnomish inventions such as the carriage scoops, and while far from finished the cities sewer system looks to be one of the best feats of domestic engineering ever set about.

However the city is not for every one. Their lenient policies on the heritage of their citizens, and the general lack of a well trained constabulary are two of the reasons why Abbaye is seen as the Rogue city. A known port of such heinous individuals as the Red Jackal, and the hideout of the fiendish assassin Daxan ap Thorinbaum. Abbaye has taken hot water from the Patrons for their don’t ask don’t tell attitude.

Relations within the Kessel

Abbayan’s frequently use the term Crimson fingers as a insult for one who is to ambitious or greedy for his own good. This reference is taken from the cities nemesis Red Harbour.

To do

annals of the city
the city proper
Folk of Importance

Written based off of personal ideas that have nothing to do with the originators ideas or statements. This is how I feel the product titled Abbaye should be, not a reflection of the notes or items said by Grey One At such a time when he gives me his notes or comments on the following text I will change as required any or all of the text as he sees fit, Gladly

GreyOne

Explorer
Abbaye

Ruler: The Seven Symbols
Type of Government: Oligarchy
Fealty: The Grey King (nominal).
Population: 128,000 ? (58,000 + in city proper)
Languages: Common, Islandspaak, Idek (guttoral dialect of Islandspaak spoken in the slum districts).
Major Holdings: Ertas (6000), Samwot (4500), Stormpost (3000), First Pike (1100), Last Pike (900). Abbaye also rules over several score villages and countless hamlets throughout the fertile plains about the mouth of the River Abbaili.
Major Resources: Wine (vineyards of Ertas), liquors, silk, fish, orchard fruit, lace and filigreed pottery
Military Presence: Abbayan “Longboots” (2,000); city guard consists of 3,000+ watchmen of varied ability and loyalty.
Temples: The Grey Chapel (Grey King), River’s End (The Pale Lord), Hall of Shells (Mistress of the Sea)
Noble Houses: There are literally hundreds of noble families of disparate origin, position and power. The most influential include the Dergu (said to be descendents of Kylatti Imperators) and the Konahsad, both of whom hold pre-eminent positions upon the Noble’s Council. Others powers include the Keilkas, the Yarrown and the Hedalaster (a ruthless family who rule the town of Ertas to the west).

Common Lore: Lying across the mouth of the great River Abbaili is the decrepit and ancient city of Abbaye. Abbaye has long held a reputation of debauchery and machination. Its families are ancient and constantly vie against one another with carefree abandon. Some say that all plots and schemes begin and end in Abbaye.

A vast and crumbling city that spreads out across the fertile delta of its namesake river, Abbaye is known as a centre of merchants, vice and fools. During high summer the famed Festival of Dreams blankets the tenements and villas with music, lanterns, costumes, dance and debauchery. Any vice can be haggled over in its shadowed alleys.

The Land: The land about Abbaye is a vast, fertile plain built up over the millennia by the silt-laden course of the River Abbaili. Orchards and farmland surround the city in all directions. Saltmarshes dot the coast north and south of the city proper and numerous sandy islets dot the horizon, making navigatin tricky for those unaccustomed to the waters.

Annals of the City:
Abbaye’s origins hearken back to the years before the coming of the fiends. City legends and evidence point to inhabitants in the surrounding plains as far back as the time of Kyllat. The city of Abbaye’s origins are humble of course. Doubtlessly a fishing village

City Wards (each of the Seven Symbols governed a selected ward)
The Ward of Flame (slums)
The Ward of Coin
The Ward of Alabaster
The Ward of Glass
The Ward of Waves
The Ward of Spears
The Ward of Kisses

Notes for Sidran:

This is more or less what I came up with (I really haven’t been doing much creating lately). Sorry I didn’t send it earlier, but I had it on an unlabelled disk and then misplaced it.

Anyway, I like what you wrote – in some ways they sound similar (though I originally pictured an old, crumbling debauched city kind of like Venice on crack). Whatever you want to do is fine. If there’s something you want me to write just let me know.

I was going to play up a lot of rivalry between Abbaye and Red Harbour.

Sidran

First Post
Now with two jobs I have the same situation as you Greyone, mostly just hiping up my own little homebrew world ( which has a lot of tuff concepts that I am trying to handle) and my campaign in that world.

I wouldn't mind Abbaye based off Venice (but Irrasibon already hit that city) I was planing on paterning it off modern day Cardiff with the Romaneque lingo common in the Kessel. I will most likely use your Noble House Dergu, and have one or two NPC's Familiar characters in the city who are the Spies of Red Harbour, a Guild bard, or what have you. I also plan on incorperating the Inquisitors from Irrasibon into the city, as well as a few other minor things

I like the idea of a crumbling city.

Anyway this post is most likely in vain because I am prolly going to cram and get it done and then redone tonight ( In between working on a Dwarven Thaumaturgist, and a Rune Lord prestige class)

Remove ads