• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Abdurant champion and mage armour?

Cephid

First Post
The abdurant champion Champion (complete Mage) is all about arcane boosted defence. The discription and flavour of the class suggests its primary ability effects mage armour, but mage armour is a conjuration spell.

"Abjurant Armor (Su): Any time you cast an abjuration
spell that grants you an armor bonus or shield bonus to AC, you can increase the value of the bonus by your abjurant
champion class level. Abjurant champions rely on mage armor,
shield, and similar spells instead of actual armor."

What seems right to you?
Is there (or should there be) a bonus to mage armour=class levels or not?

frankthedm

First Post
I kinda think it would be a good idea to move Mage Armor to Abjuration flavorwise, though I hear that PRC is strong already.

Also, there is a third level Mage Armor in the spell compendium, which grants 6 points of armor, so letting that get boosted may be a bit much.

Remember, Monsters are supposed to hit you. This is why those who are front line have HP.

Diirk

First Post
frankthedm said:
I kinda think it would be a good idea to move Mage Armor to Abjuration flavorwise, though I hear that PRC is strong already.

Also, there is a third level Mage Armor in the spell compendium, which grants 6 points of armor, so letting that get boosted may be a bit much.

Eh? Abjurant Champions are supposed to be frontline, semi defensive fighters that focus on using magic to increase armour instead of physical armours. Mage Armour with the +1 AC/level = 9 AC. The same as full plate +1, or bracers of armour +9. Even using greater mage armour or whatever, still doesn't exceed the potential armour bonus of full plate. So I'm not sure how its meant to give them "too much" armour class. I think it was just a design mistake.

Unfortunately, as written, if you want to use the abjurant champion class feature to get improved armour bonus from an abjuration spell you'll probably have to use Luminous Armour or Greater Luminous Armour from Book of Exalted Deeds, which are ridiculously powerful and probably frowned upon by most sane DMs.

(Just to give you a quick idea; greater luminous armour is 8 ac + 5 for a 5th level abjurant champion = 13ac total, and melee attackers take an additional -4 penalty to hit you. It does have drawbacks, but even so...)

UltimaGabe

First Post
I'd also point out that though the Abjurant Champion is supposed to be all about Mage Armor and Shield spells, rather than actual armor, the Abjurant Champion's picture is quite obviously wearing armor AND a shield.

EvilGM

Explorer
The example Abjurant Champion in the book does receive the bonus to mage armor, check the stat block (mage armor all ready cast, 5th lvl Abj Champ, +9 armor bonus, no armor worn)

Cephid

First Post
EvilGM said:
The example Abjurant Champion in the book does receive the bonus to mage armor, check the stat block (mage armor all ready cast, 5th lvl Abj Champ, +9 armor bonus, no armor worn)

great, that sounds like what what I want to hear.
Does anyone think this makes the class over powered?

Voadam

Legend
Cephid said:
great, that sounds like what what I want to hear.
Does anyone think this makes the class over powered?

You mean besides the 1/1 BAB combined with 1/1 arcane spellcasting and d10 HD?

Funny enough, I just read this class five minutes ago for the first time before coming here. My 17th level eldritch knight is ruing the fact that I didn't see this sooner. It is my new plan for levels 18-20. I was merely looking for things with 2/3 in both spellcasting and BAB such as the human paragon class before.

It is very strong but limited by the +5 BAB requirement and 5 level cap. Significantly better benefits than the EK, though you can take the EK for 10 levels and get +10 BAB and +9 caster level.

Who knew that taking combat casting at 18th level would be the path to greater power for my character.

Cephid

First Post
So the extra mage armour bonus is too much then?
(even thou it seems that that was the intention of the class)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads