• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Abilities for a resourcful Warlord

mcnathan80

First Post
So I've made a resourcful warlord with 16s in str, int, and cha (tiefling), and a halberd (total +5 to hit, I liberally use commander's strike) and I'm wondering what is the best way to go about leveling him up, should I pump my points into int and cha and neglect str, or pump str and alternate between int and cha, or focus on str and one other ability, I'm torn as to the best way to build this guy up, any help would be appreciated.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Obviously you need to pump STR every occasion.

At level 4 and 8, increase your favorite between CHA and INT (You should know by level 4 which abilities tied to which bonus are your favorite at this point). At level 11 you get +1 to both so then you split your level 14 and 18 points to put them both at an even number. Same thing for epic level. So by level 28 you should have either INT or CHA at 22 and the other at 20 while STR is at 24

A good side effect of the ressourceful warlord is that his defenses are pretty good.

Warlord, reach weapons and tiefling are a good mix. Take the great spear superior weapon at the first occasion. That extra +1 to hit is very important for a warlord.

nittanytbone

First Post
IMHO you must pump STR. It is the prime ability used for all of your powers. If you choose not to pump it, you will NOT be able to hit as often as you "should."

Then you have a choice. You can pump INT if you prefer INT-based powers, CHA if you prefer CHA-based powers, or both if you can't decide.

Look ahead in the PHB/martial power and see if any powers really jump out at you. If you realize that 9/10s of your future power selections will be INT-based, then by all means, pump INT and disregard CHA. If you think you'll be taking some from column A and some from column B, then alternate pumping INT and CHA with an eye towards whatever powers are coming up in the next few levels.

Also, I hope you started with enough DEX or CON to qualify for the weapon feats related to your primary weapon (CON for axes, DEX for heavy blades). About 14 should do it for either axes or hammers. If not you may need to drop a point or two in there so you can qualify for key feats in paragon tier.

DracoSuave

First Post
You don't -need- to go into weapon feats as a resourceful, because your feat selection could go into warlord-specifics. Your warlord racials tend to be pretty decent.

Remove ads