• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability modifiers for children / adolescents

Kor

First Post
Does anyone know of where I can find the age ability modifiers for Children and Adolescents for 3.5e ?

Urbannen

First Post
They don't exist. Children and adolescents don't have stats in 3.5.

You could give ad hoc ability penalties that give children a range of abilities between birth until they get their base stats in young adulthood.

I suggest giving all children a d4 for hit dice that could potentially increase if they get a class level.

Newborn humans are Tiny creatures with Str 0, Dex 0, Con 1, Int 0, Wis 1, Cha 1. They rapidly attain scores in Str, Dex, and Int, and so on as they get older.

Adolescents are Medium-sized with their beginning adult stats, and you could give them 1-3 apprentice levels to reflect their learning their first class. Like Apprentice 1 fighter would get 2+Int skill points and Shield Proficiency. Apprentice 2 would get a d6 HD, 2+Int skill points, light armor proficiency, and simple weapon proficiency, Apprentice 3 would get a d8 HD, 2+Int skill points, Medium armor proficiency, and +1 Fort save.

Aluvial

Explorer
If you did do age modifiers for adolecent and child entries I would just extrapolate from the existing modifiers...

Let's see...

Ok, so a Middle age character loses 1 to body stats, Str, Dex, and Con, and adds 1 to mind stats, Int, Wis, and Chr.

I wouldn't necessarily add to body, but probably would subtract for all scores...

So start with a base adult age, and subtract 1 from each stat for adolecent and probably another 2 for children...

Children would be 3d6-3 in all stats, adolecents would be 3d6-1 in all stats...

Just a guess.

Aluvial

Urbannen

First Post
Children who are Small size would also get +2 Dex, -4 Str on top of everything else.

Tiny children, umm, can't remember - +4 Dex, -8 Str?

ImBatman

First Post
from the d20 Modern SRD;
Children
Children (newborns to age 11) are handled differently from other characters. They do not have classes or levels. They begin with the same ability score package as ordinaries (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), but their ability scores are reduced as follows: -3 Str, -1 Dex, -3 Con, -1 Int, -1 Wis, -1 Cha.
Children have 1d4 hit points plus their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 hit point). They have no skills, feats, action points, or occupations. Their base attack bonus is +0, they have a +0 modifier on all saving throws (plus any modifiers for high or low ability scores), and their Reputation bonus is +0. Children have a +0 modifier to Defense and a normal speed of 20 feet. Children have no effective attacks and should be treated as noncombatants.
When a child turns 12, he or she is considered a young adult and takes his or her first level in one of the six basic classes. At that point, the character becomes an ordinary (or hero, in some cases).

frankthedm

First Post
Star wars had rules for young padawans IIRC. Perfect way to design an adventure where the players exterminate the brainwashed / corrupted spellcasting children of a cult.

Kids open up combat with some Vile BOVD spells, though when they suffer too much ability damage the start crying out things like "Mommy it hurts!"

Last edited:

Draz

Explorer
I definitely disagree with babies having 0's and 1's in their scores. They should actually be exceptionally high in INT or WIS, whichever one you interpret to represent learning ability. ("In the mouths of babes ...") For this post, I'll assume WIS represents learning ability, while INT represents what has already been learned.

I plan at some point to make Infant, Toddler, Child, and Adolescent templates. Here's a very very rough draft.

Infant

• -3 size categories
  • STR -10 (min. 1)
  • DEX -6 (min. 1)
  • INT -10 (min. 1)
  • WIS +6
  • CHA -2 (min. 3)
  • Likeability +5: (whenever a roll is used to determine a creature's attitude towards an infant, (e.g. Friendly, Indifferent, Hostile))
  • -4 to all skill checks.

Toddler

• -2 size categories
  • STR -8 (min. 1)
  • DEX -4 (min. 1)
  • INT -8 (min. 3)
  • WIS +4
  • -3 to all skill checks.

Child

• -1 size category
  • STR -4 (min. 1)
  • Dex +2
  • INT -4 (min. 3)
  • WIS +2
  • -2 to all skill checks.

Adolescent

• STR -2
  • WIS -2
  • Rebellious: Diplomacy and Intimidate checks used vs. adolescents take a -5 penalty.
  • -1 to all skill checks.

ardentmoth

Explorer
Charisma and Wisdom are hard to get right for the younger ones...

Not only is youth attractive, but it brings with it the unrestrained randomness of a being who has not yet learned to keep it's mouth shut.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads