• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Modifiers on Official Monsters

rogueboy

First Post
I've been lurking on the forums for a while trying to get a feel for how 4e's going to work, but I haven't posted until now.

Moving on to my actual question, I've noticed that a lot of the monster stat blocks that have been released have modifiers that don't seem to follow from the 'standard' ability modifier determinations we're used to in 3.x, and what I understand to be continuing in 4e, at least for players.

For example, the Succubus has Str 11 (+4), Dex 18 (+8), Wis 19 (+8), Con 10 (+4), Int 15 (+6), Cha 22 (+10), and the Pit Fiend has Str 32 (+24), Dex 24 (+20), Wis 20 (+18),
Con 27 (+21), Int 22 (+19), Cha 28 (+22). Each monster seems to be consistent across it's stats (a stat that is 2n higher than another has a modifier n higher), but it doesn't seem consistent with the 10 base for PCs, or even with any base value for monsters. The Succubus seems to use 2 as the 'base' (no modifier) stat score, while the Pit Fiend seems to use -16 as the base stat score.

Have I missed something, or is this something that other people have noticed and wondered about?

Shroomy

Adventurer
Those modifiers after the stats are not the ability score modifiers, they are a number derived from half the monsters level (rounded down) + the ability modifier (which does follow the 3.x progression). These would be the monster's untrained skill/ability check modifiers.

Remove ads