• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability score array vs. point buy

Kzach

Banned
Banned
As much as I love point-buy, I'm leaning towards allowing a static array in my games. The array's I've chosen are technically 27 point-buy which I'm happy with, but I don't feel it would be a good idea to allow 27 point-buy.

I'm just curious as to how people would react and what people think of this method. Mainly so that I can try and foresee and avoid any problems in future games should I use the rule.

My two arrays are:

18, 16, 12, 10, 10, 8.

or

16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10.

One gives a higher main bonus, but less bonuses overall, whilst the other gives a lower main bonus, but more bonuses overall.

So far, I'm really liking how they both interact with the system. It seems to give more options for character creation rather than pigeon-holing certain races based on their ability bonuses. Of course, that somewhat impacts humans, but not so much that I feel it's unfair or imbalanced.

DanmarLOK

First Post
I prefer array over point buy (or random roll etc) and this is from a looong time DM. Array just avoids a lot of min/maxing and lopsided characters. I went with the 'default' point buy (16, 15,...) but I've changed the racial stat bonuses to non-humans get +2 to any one stat and +1 to one of their two racial stats (no stacking) and humans get +2 to any one stat and +1 to any other stat (no stacking). It may not be 'balanced', definitely not perfect but it went over pretty well with the players.

D

I like point buy because it allows me to start with odd (read not even) stats. I feel like a combination of odd and even stats makes the ability bonus progression a little smoother. Every level I get a bonus I change one of my ability mods. I just like how it feels better.

And I like min/max math stuff. I make spreadsheets of it. Part of the game.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I like point buy because it allows me to start with odd (read not even) stats. I feel like a combination of odd and even stats makes the ability bonus progression a little smoother. Every level I get a bonus I change one of my ability mods. I just like how it feels better.
Ditto. I'm not a big min/maxer, I just like the idea of each and every stat boost level to actually be relevant. When using point buy, I typically tweak the standard array to 10, 10, 12, 12, 15, 16 just so that an important mod goes up at each and every stat boost level.

I'd like to just skip over ability scores altogether, but I wouldn't complain about Kzach's two arrays.

TS

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'm basing the two arrays off the assumption that characters are made focusing on one main ability and another support ability or having a third support ability. But primarily, the only stats that will be added to with progression are the primary and support abilities.

Cadfan

First Post
My group has been exclusively using the default array. Counting both games, that's 9 characters so far. Its been perfectly adequate for all of them.

There are a few character concepts that will conflict with certain arrays, and I'd allow an exception if one were to come up, but in general, the game isn't so touchy that an array won't work just fine for just about everything. At absolute worst, the default array is going to leave you short a +2 in a primary ability score.

Paul Strack

First Post
I haven't found the point-buy rules in 4E to be particular broken, especially since you can only have one 8 point score.

That said, I think your arrays are pretty close to what most players will pick anyway. The only exception is that a PC might want to arrange to have a 13 in a secondary stat to meet some feat prerequisite (our Warlord got a 13 Con to qualify for Scale Proficiency).

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I haven't found the point-buy rules in 4E to be particular broken, especially since you can only have one 8 point score.

That said, I think your arrays are pretty close to what most players will pick anyway. The only exception is that a PC might want to arrange to have a 13 in a secondary stat to meet some feat prerequisite (our Warlord got a 13 Con to qualify for Scale Proficiency).

That's part of the balance between the two arrays though. If you want that, then take the 16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10 array and live without a 20 in your primary stat.

The idea was that they were close to what you could do with 22 point buy, but there was that extra bit of punch in them to make both appealing for different reasons. Giving 27 point-buy, however, would allow more silly builds so one of the balancing factors was to limit it to only those two arrays, with no changes and no point-buy.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
In my current campaign everyone gets to use the standard array

16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10

and then add their racials on top of that.

The game is going well so far, and it has avoided either the unattractive min-maxing which I see when there is unlimited point buy or the unfair bias which some people end up with then rolling for attributes.

Considering your two arrays, I would pick the '18' one nearly every time at the moment, since for all intents and purposes you are only '1' bonus down on the other array - I don't count the -1 from an 8 against the total because you can always put the 8 in a place which you don't care about (it won't ever effect saves because of the 'best of two abilities' rule for saves, for instance).

To make them a bit more of an even choice, I think you could probably boost the second one a little - although it is pretty rare for any 4e class to be interested in more than 3 ability scores for most things.

Cheers

Paultimatum

First Post
Personally I like min/maxing, so I don't try to avoid it. I almost always use rolling, with rerolling of scores under 10 (or bringing rolls of under 10 to 10). Otherwise I use point buy, always buying an 18. But I find that the characters made from that rolling are fairly balanced, with some exceptions. I think the two suggested arrays look good, although I agree I would almost always pick the first one. I also wouldn't mind 27 point buy in general, but maybe that's just me :p.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads