• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Scores for Scroll Use

Sparafucile

First Post
The rules in the DMG say that a scroll requires a minimum ability score to use a scroll (10+level of the spell). I was wondering if a scroll requires the specific ability score of the scriber, or does the user use his/her own spellcasting attribute.

For example, a Protection from Elements scroll may be scribed by a cleric, making it divine. However, other divine casters may use Cha (ex: Favored Soul) or Int (ex: Archivist) to determine their spellcasting abilities. Must they have a Wisdom of 13 to use the same scroll, or does their own spellcasting ability score suffice?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Herzog

Adventurer
If I remember correctly, you also should have the spell in question on your spell list.
From that, I deduce that you use your own spellcasting stat: (ie: you must have it on your list and have a high enough attribute to be able to cast it)

However, this raises an interesting question:
What if a rogue attempts a UMD to activate a scroll.
Which attribute should (s)he use?

Herzog

Folly

First Post
Well if we use your argument Herzog, it would be the rogues choice. Since he is emulating having the skill on his spell list. If you look at the DC of the check it is the same DC as emulating a class. So you could say that you are emulating as a Favored Soul instead of a Cleric so that you can use your charisma instead of wisdom.

Christian

Explorer
Folly said:
Well if we use your argument Herzog, it would be the rogues choice. Since he is emulating having the skill on his spell list. If you look at the DC of the check it is the same DC as emulating a class. So you could say that you are emulating as a Favored Soul instead of a Cleric so that you can use your charisma instead of wisdom.

So a charismatic rogue has an easier time activating divine scrolls of cleric spells if his player has read Complete Divine, eh?

Sadly, I can't think of a better ruling ... :)

Sparafucile

First Post
Re: my original question - If this is correct, then how does the caster level on the scroll affect its use? A Protection from Elements at caster level 5 cannot be scribed by a Favored Soul, and yet, a favored soul still use Charisma to cast from it?

Re: the Use Magic Device - For a rogue to use Cha, would the minimum caster level of the scroll have to be be one level higher? A Protection From Elements scroll, for example, would be at caster level 6. The SRD says:

"To cast a spell from a scroll, you need a high score in the appropriate ability (Intelligence for wizard spells, Wisdom for divine spells, or Charisma for sorcerer or bard spells)."

It makes a distinction for sorcers/bards, and as the Sorcerer has the same spell list as the Wizard, it may mean that the scroll must be designated as scribed by a Sorcerer in order to use Charisma. Is that right?

Also. as it was written prior to the Complete Divine sourcebook, there is no distinction made for alternative abilities for divine scrolls. Should there be such a distinction, or is this proof that a rogue MUST use Wisdom to emulate for a divine scroll?

Nail

First Post
Right.

An arcane scroll, for example, could be cast as a Wizard (Int) or Sorcerer (Chr). So this "ability score switching" was possible from the Core Rules only. Splat books just added to the problem.

Rogues using UMD just have to have a high score in Chr to cast most arcane or divine spells. Or a high UMD roll (ability score = UMD -15).

Folly

First Post
If all else fails, you can use the "Emulate a Class Feature" to emulate spell casting of another class. Then you effectively emulate a caster level of the class you are trying to emulate equal to your check - 20. This means that you would then be locking yourself (for this attempt) into emulating a specific class. This means that you would have to then have the casting stat (or another umd emulating it) and if you do not have sufficient caster level from the initial check then you would have to make a caster level check to cast the scroll. While this seems to circumvent the rules, its more that there are two methods presented.

As far as the neccesary caster level of the scroll, the question then becomes does a sorcerer need a caster 6 scroll to be able to cast it? Since special rules are not applied to sorcerers I would say it wouldn't matter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads