D&D 5E Abjuration vs. Illusion - Which one should I pick?

mikebr99

Explorer
The Shield spell gives you the knowledge you've been targeted by MM. So the DM would have to tell you that first... so you can decide if you use shield or counterspell.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The Shield spell give you the knowledge you've been targeted by MM. So the DM would have to tell you that first... so you can decide if you use shield or counterspell.

I disagree but more importantly for the sake of this discussion that wouldn’t apply to any other spell. So really what was the point of bringing it up when you can insert any other level 1 spell in place of magic missle and my point is still the same

mikebr99

Explorer
I disagree but more importantly for the sake of this discussion that wouldn’t apply to any other spell. So really what was the point of bringing it up when you can insert any other level 1 spell in place of magic missle and my point is still the same

From the Shield spell:
SHIELD
1st-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are
hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell

I agree this is a special case... but I also think most enemy casters are going to start from the top of their spell list... casting at you. And the Abjurer (10th+) is very good at countering just using 3rd level slots and not knowing what is being cast.

Mike

Remove ads