• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ablative Armor

The Lost Muse

First Post
Has anyone experimented with using Ablative armor? I was thinking of something along the lines of armor has DR based on its composition, and a certain number of hit points.

Padded armor might be DR 1/slashing or piercing with 5 hitpoints, whereas chainmail might be DR 3/piercing (I'm making this up as I type).

The effects on the game would make combat longer but assuming that armor did not make you harder to hit that might balance out at lower levels.

Any thoughts?

hong

WotC's bitch
Repairing armour after every fight sounds like a pain. It's bad enough that someone has to be the party medic, I don't see the need for someone to be the party blacksmith as well.

Rhun

First Post
I play-tested a system that I crafted like this...each type of armor had a different variable DR against the different damage types. For example, padded armor might provide DR of 1d4 vrs blunt damaage, but only 1d2 vrs slashing and 0 vrs piercing. It was alright, but I found that during playtesting (with 2nd and 3rd level PCs) that hardly anyone got injured and that battles took much longer to complete because each hit was usually reduced to a couple points of damage.

I didn't try playtesting it at higher levels where the DR amount wouldn't make as much of a difference.

Remove ads