• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

About to start a psion-only campaign. Any pointers?

James McMurray

First Post
My group has fallen in love with the versatility availble tot he classes in the XPH and wants to try it out, so I'm about to start a campaign with th players only using the XPH as character creation.

We'll start at level two, which means any race except the Thri-kreen can be played.

I'll likely introduce a couple of new feats to allow players to partially mimic not having a roue or leric. I was thinking of the following:

Rogue Training
Prerequisite: Int 13+, Dex 13+
Benefit: You gain the trapfinding ability and Serah becomes a class skill for you. Thus you may find traps whose DC is higher than 20.

Born Healer
Prerequisite: Wisdom 13+
Benefit: When you use Empathic Transfer to heal another, you only take half of the damage you heal.

Alternatively for that second one I might introduce a 1st level power that heals 1d6 damage to another. Augmentation would be +1d6 per two power points.

Any ideas? Things I can use to help make the game run smoother or more entertaining? Flames for such an idiotic idea?

Note that the world will not be psionic only, but the area the party starts in will defnitely be more psionic than magical. The region will have no organized religion, with empaths and herbalists acting as the primary source for healing. Depending on their skills, the characters may not even know that gods and wizards exist until they stumble upon their works.

I've picked out an old classic adventure to run, but don't want to mention it because I don't know if my players read here or not. Suffice it to say that its almost as old and as classic as you can get. :)

Particle_Man

Explorer
James McMurray said:
Born Healer
Prerequisite: Wisdom 13+
Benefit: When you use Empathic Transfer to heal another, you only take half of the damage you heal.

Alternatively for that second one I might introduce a 1st level power that heals 1d6 damage to another. Augmentation would be +1d6 per two power points.

Use the alternative, as the first description is already covered in the power Empathic Transfer.

I would suggest leaving lots of healing potions around, until they reach level 3.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Sorrry, I meant to say you only take 1/4 of the damage you heal. Would that be better than the alternative? I'll probably just give both options to my group and see what they prefer, but I'd like to get them hammered out and at least somewhat balanced before I do that. :)

Mystendanian

First Post
get the Quintessential Psion

If you're going to be running a psion-only campaign, I'd suggest purchasing the Quintessential Psion from Mongoose Publishing. It has some wonderful expanded rules that really add flavor to a psionic campaign, particularly echoes, fragments, and symbiotic parasites. Plus there are a few prestige classes that would give your characters some options later on.

I haven't purchased the Quint Psychic Warrior (yet), but you might look into that one too.

Myst

James McMurray

First Post
We're sticking with core for this game. I'm mainly looking at ways to nhance the game, and pitfalls to look out for because there is no cleric, wizard, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads