• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

About ... your table

Janx

Hero
When I switched to wireless networking, I converted my computer room (extra bedroom) to a game room.

It has 1 L shaped couch, seats 3-4 easily

We use 3 plastic chairs on the opposite 2 sides

I have a 2.5' by 5' table (the church/convention table with folding legs)

We sit around it, with me on one end behind a GM screen.

I put my battle-mat and 3d models in the middle.

I'm working on a raised 9" platform, roughly 2.5' square to go on top the table. The battlemat and 3d models will go on that, leaving the lower main table clear for books, drinks, etc.

We're also thinking about taking the couch out, as it takes up a lot of space. The chairs need roughly 2.5' space, the couch takes up 3' space, which quickly fills up the room. The couch got put in there when I bought a new couch, right when I was cleaning out the room for a game room...

Janx

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Lord Foul said:
when I did have a game going, we played in my basement on a ping-pong table. It was great. You had plenty on room to spred out your books and leave the battlemat out.

Let's hear it for basement ping-pong tables.
We played on one in the game I was recently in. Now that the DM has gone away to college, I'll be resuming my campaign.
Since no one at that house will be around anyore we won't be playing there, so I'm not sure what the playing conditions will be.
I have two locations in mind; most likely we'll end up using one particular player's bedroom floor since he has a lot of space. When we play in the other player's house, probably the basement.

Anyone remember the thread about that crazy custom made gaming table with lighted sections for each player and chutes for balls containing messages? :D

We play in my finished basement at a 6'x3' folding conference style table. I set up card tables around it to hold books and notes for the player to use as we play. We have my couch along one side of the table to sit on and us two nice rolling office chairs as well as a couple of padded folding chairs to sit on.

There's a stero system and two computers both in easy grabbing distance if I need either during the game. I also a large bookcase full of all my roleplaying books. My wife just shakes her head every time she see how full it is.

-Ashrum

RFisher

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
> examine dog
It's a champagn colored poodle, although a few brown hairs on its back & its long-for-a-poodle body give away its chihuahuan heritage. It needs grooming. It only seems to bark when locked outside or when a gamer is in the house & not seated.
Hypersmurf said:
> get dog
Its bobbed tailed begins wagging at FTL speeds as it eagerly jumps into your arms & rubs its head against you. It stops barking.
Hypersmurf said:
> open cabinet
Instead of the valuable stash of coins & gems you were hoping to find, you merely find a collection of placemats & other sundry, mundane, dining room items.
Hypersmurf said:
> open armoire
You see an eMac. It appears brand new. Tiled across the background is the Erol Otus cover image from the D&D Basic Set c. 1981. A Safari window is open showing the ENWorld forums.
Hypersmurf said:
> get minis
Most of them appear to be SJG Cardboard Heroes that were scanned & printed as if the owner were scared of cutting up the original product. One appears to be from of S. John Ross' SPARKS. Another seems to be from Rich Berlew's Order of the Stick. Another is Yosemite Sam!

Chimera

First Post
The game I'm hosting (not GMing).

Four players sitting on a sectional couch. When we add the fifth, he or I will have squeeze in or sit on one of those just-off-the-floor tv chairs on the east side. The GM sits on the opposite side on my computer chair.

Two coffee tables placed together in the middle provide the playing surface. For the GM, I set up an octagonal 3-legged table near the computer, so he can have his papers out of the way.

Sectional couch to north and west, GM to east, barely enough room to the south to pass between the tables and the Stereo/TV/Speakers.

I considered setting up my currently unused dining room table in the middle when we game, but then the table surface would be at eye level for us players.

Previous game

Larger basement room in my old house. Three players on futon couch and chair at one end, working off one coffee table. Three other players sitting on other comfy chairs, on either side of the room, working off two small tables. GM (me) on my computer chair, octagonal table next to me covered with my papers. In the middle, second coffee table at a right angle to the other one, upon which the large white board was set. All mini movement being handled by me.

the Jester

Legend
My table is wee, only supporting the battlemat- it's just a card table. The players and I sit in various couches and chairs in a rough circle with the table to one side of me.

Edit: Goldeneagle's got the sweetest gaming setup I've ever been in though- he and his wife have an incredible gaming den.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
We actually play mostly on the floor nowadays :p with pillows to sit on.

Otherwise we used to play at a livingroom short table (about half meter high) sitting on the sofas around, or at a very big sturdy wooden table in the DM's cellar.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
3/4 size pool table.

I sit in my leather manager's chair looking all "Lord-of-the-Room", while most of the players sit back from the table on one of two couches.

For sessions with more players, a few will normally sit on office chairs, either up at the table or further back.

During combat, the group generally gathers to stand around the table.

Lighting: Overhead, candelabra-type light fitting. Actual light varies depending on number of functioning globes on any night.

Dice: I have a fairly large and varied collection, several players have matching sets (the plastic cube with lid type ones), while some borrow and others have more ad-hoc sets. One player generally makes his rolls inside a pink lunch-box, the rest of us use the table.

Laptops: Myself and two players make use of laptops.

Battlemat: Two home made mats, covered in clear book-cover material (we generally call it Contact over here, not sure what the more international term is) for the use of dry-erase markers. 1" grid.

Minis: Ad-hoc collection of hero-quest and other minis, most not painted.

GM Screen: don't use 'em (I have bought one for RM and one for CoC, the former for the crit table booklet, the latter I can't recall why). Generally, I make my own screens from manilla folders, contacting photocopies of the tables/info I want on. They aren't used as screens though, just a handy compiled reference.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads