• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

abraham lincoln vampire hunter

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I actually enjoyed it--but I went in with the idea that it's comedy, it's not supposed to be "serious." C'mon, were you expecting a deep, cerebral plot about Abraham Lincoln killing vampires?

The action sequences are ridiculously overblown, sort of like a cross between the Matrix and 300. There's plenty of hyper-stylized bullet time and kung fu action and even some explosions and chase scenes. It's so overwrought and melodramatic that I was laughing the whole way through. If that's not what they were going for... That would be bad. I think they were trying to be campy and funny about it though.

One of the major elements that convinced me that it's comedy is the way they portrayed vampires and their motivations. They're evil because they're racists, not because they kill people and drink their blood. The evil vampire overlord even has a dramatic monologue where he brags about being a slave master for five thousand years. That's either comedy or an attempt at "being deep" that's so obvious that it hurts.

I didn't read the book, so I can't comment there. I thought it was worth the ticket price but it's not Oscar material by any stretch of the imagination.

Squire James

First Post
Some of these critics complaining about the implausibility of ALVH strike me as kind of like critics complaining that "Die Hard" was unrealistically allowing people survive what ought to be fatal situations! I mean, if you don't accept the premise of the title, that's okay, but then don't try to see/review the movie because you WON'T be objective...

Janx

Hero
Saw it yesterday for the Fourth.

This movie gives me new found respect for our 16th President, and I am glad he he waged his war against the vampire empire of the south.

We all knew the South was bad, if only they had mentioned that they were also vampires.

Krug

Newshound
Thought it was okay until he hung up his axe, and then it was just a total drag. The whole sequence where Abe
gets the silver melted down then transported south via the Underground Railroad in time for the troops to kill the vamps
was a plothole the size of Texas.
And wouldn't the vampire South soldiers just kill their opposition? Why would they stop?

It was also so damned serious, when it could have used some ironic humour to lighten things up. But Timur (who directed Daywatch and Nightwatch) is not known for that.

Janx

Hero
I actually enjoyed it--but I went in with the idea that it's comedy, it's not supposed to be "serious." C'mon, were you expecting a deep, cerebral plot about Abraham Lincoln killing vampires?

The action sequences are ridiculously overblown, sort of like a cross between the Matrix and 300. There's plenty of hyper-stylized bullet time and kung fu action and even some explosions and chase scenes. It's so overwrought and melodramatic that I was laughing the whole way through. If that's not what they were going for... That would be bad. I think they were trying to be campy and funny about it though.

One of the major elements that convinced me that it's comedy is the way they portrayed vampires and their motivations. They're evil because they're racists, not because they kill people and drink their blood. The evil vampire overlord even has a dramatic monologue where he brags about being a slave master for five thousand years. That's either comedy or an attempt at "being deep" that's so obvious that it hurts.

I didn't read the book, so I can't comment there. I thought it was worth the ticket price but it's not Oscar material by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't know about campy or funny. At least not in a slapstick kind of way that Hercules or Xena is that way.

ALVH is written on the premise of taking the serious and merging it with the ridiculous in such a way that it appears just as serious as the original material. It's the same writer as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Done correctly, the work itself doesn't have any silly moments in it. Instead, we are to take the execution of the work for its seriousness merged with the ridiculous as the joke.

I do agree that some moments seemd to crawl, but overall, I liked the movie for what it was, a mock-history-drama about Abraham Lincoln.

Remove ads