• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Absurd AoO.... what can be done?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I always felt the AoO mechanic was overpowered. IMO, an AoO is still an attack and counts as the attack someone makes in a round. While it does let them get the attack in earlier, even if they lost initiative, I don't feel it should act as an *extra* attack. If someone gets the opportunity, they can take the attack or wait until their regular initiative order to take their attack. If they are to get multiple attacks, they can use one for the attack of opportunity and take the rest in their regular turn. If they have multiple attacks coming, and they get more than one opportunity, they can take advantage of the earlier attacks or wait until their regular turn. Just my own opinion on how it should be handled.

emanresu

First Post
if a player takes a feat into AoO then he should be able to get a free wack here n there, this basically covers stupid acts or the opponent rolls a fumble (nat 1) triggers AoO.

if a player invest multiple feats into AoO then this is his schtik! Players only have X amount of feats. This guy wants to exploit every weakness, every movement to get himself a free wack at the cost of a good % of his total feats then so be it. Thats why I was saying earlier combat reflexes, hold the line, imp trip, knockdown, Robs gambit and karmatic strike

someones coming at you (hold the line = 1 attack) they swing (RG = 1 attack), he hits (KS = 1 attack) one of your attacks, probably all of them causes 10 pts of damage ( KDown = free trip attempt) this unfortunate soul gets tripped (prone) = free attack....rinse wash repeat, now add on double hit and high sword low axe...its all your feats but your an absolute nightmare to fight!!!

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
The problem with AoO is that, as I experienced DMing a hardcore 3rd Ed campaign for 3 years (fortnightly for an average of around 6 hours), is that with tactically-minded players, they don't really come up, I think we had 3...

More restrictive than anything else.

MarkB

Legend
The problem with AoO is that, as I experienced DMing a hardcore 3rd Ed campaign for 3 years (fortnightly for an average of around 6 hours), is that with tactically-minded players, they don't really come up, I think we had 3...

More restrictive than anything else.

I don't think that's really a problem. The main purpose of AoOs as a game-mechanic is to discourage tactically reckless actions. If characters are avoiding provoking them, then they're working as intended.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I don't think that's really a problem. The main purpose of AoOs as a game-mechanic is to discourage tactically reckless actions. If characters are avoiding provoking them, then they're working as intended.

I feel they trigger off of too many things, 2nd Ed has AoO, but only from fleeing from those you are engaged in melee with.

NuSair

Explorer
I ended up changing some of the NPCs that had multiple attacks and similar skill sets. Except the epic rogue build where all his AoOs are sneak attacks. He's still running RG and Double Hit.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I always felt the AoO mechanic was overpowered. IMO, an AoO is still an attack and counts as the attack someone makes in a round. While it does let them get the attack in earlier, even if they lost initiative, I don't feel it should act as an *extra* attack. If someone gets the opportunity, they can take the attack or wait until their regular initiative order to take their attack. If they are to get multiple attacks, they can use one for the attack of opportunity and take the rest in their regular turn. If they have multiple attacks coming, and they get more than one opportunity, they can take advantage of the earlier attacks or wait until their regular turn. Just my own opinion on how it should be handled.

Yeah; I always thought that a "committed action", which would be an action you take out of turn but which must be taken as your first action when your initiative arrives, would be a better mechanic, except that it's very confusing to wrap your head around.

Thx!

TomB

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Yeah; I always thought that a "committed action", which would be an action you take out of turn but which must be taken as your first action when your initiative arrives, would be a better mechanic, except that it's very confusing to wrap your head around.

Thx!

TomB

That's how Aborting to a Defensive Action ("Aborting" for short) works in HERO system. Except that you can only Abort to defensive actions.

Honestly, it's not hard once you get used to it. Actually, it's really easy.

I think it would be a good fix for AoO characters.

emanresu

First Post
points of interest
-most players are feat starved, if they dedicate/sacrifice fets for a AoO build, thats their schtick!

-2 handed power attacking combat brute feat chain, smashing everything with one swing, causing hundreds of hit points of damage per round, who really cares about the AoO build...really its lackluster in comparison.

-hey if this beefs up non spell casters, then were making up the difference ever so slightly. More directly related there is a feat that triggers AoO against spell casters casting defensively...well vs this feat they cant and will quickly learn the hard way.

Remove ads