• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Abyssal Mining

Dear all,

TL;DR: looking for ideas for an ‘Abyssal Mining’ expedition. Backstory in first two paragraphs, questions for how to run it in the third.

As part of a downtime session for my group, I've been thinking of ways to let them appear awesome (as 15th level characters) while also building off of past storylines to create new ones. One in particular that I've developed is that of a "lost tribe" of Hobgoblins; the story here is that, while time travelling, the party discovered that the ancient (3,500 years ago) Hobgoblins in their area were both civilised and devotees of the Aesir like themselves. In the ‘modern day’, the Hobgoblins are the standard savages and followers of Maglubiyet. The ancient Hobgoblins, upon a civilisation-shattering cataclysm, fled into the Astral plane aboard (essentially) spelljammer ships; the players were very taken with this, and on the observation that time doesn’t pass in the Astral, theorise that they might be able to find them and return them to basically turn the Hobgoblins of their time into useful allies.

So it’s the sort of crazy nonsense that emerges from high level play. Fine. Now, my plan is that the players will have to jump through some hoops to pull this off: I’ve numbered them for your convenience. [1] The hobbos are now prisoners of the Githyanki, held in their city of Tu’Narath (I’m using some information from Dragon #377). [2] To get there, the players will need a token to gain admittance to the (very carefully protected city) as accepted traders. [3] This token is held by a Morkoth (wandering planar collector thing from Volo’s Guide to Monsters) who will trade it for the bedclothes of Zadara, the Titan who lives in Sigil (from Uncaged: Faces of Sigil, one of my all-time favourite RPG books). The bedclothes thing is to suggest that even plane-hopping aberrations can be creepy perverts. [4] Anyway, Zadara in turn will ask the characters to go on an expedition to the Abyss, where a battle between the Devils and Demons has cut the entire top off of a mountain range. Lying right there, in plain sight, is a huge lode of Mithril; and she’s funding a group of miners to go in, when the fighting clears, and grab as much as possible. The party will then get a 5% cut of the total profits, or whatever.

So I’ve got this hopelessly convoluted series of steps, which I think will run fairly smoothly, with sufficient NPC prompting and whatnot; it also gives me plenty of fun roleplaying opportunities to inflict on the players, and will hopefully make their entry into Tu’Narath feel like a major achievement. What I’m looking for help with, however, is ideas for the actual mining operation. Say that a window of 3 days opens, and that a party of five 15th/16th level characters (including a Cleric with Planeshift and a bag full of planar tuning fork things) are tasked with protecting about a hundred Duergar miners. What would you do for this? How would you run it? Is there anywhere in the Abyss that I should use as the location for this? I’d like for a Demon Lord (from Out of the Abyss) to be the final boss - ideas? And is there something more fancy than Mithril that I should use instead?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Mithril seems rather...common for the Abyss. Make up some new, mystical substance. Abyssalite or something. Weapons made from it are particularly lethal to celestials or devils or something. Or it's angel kryptonite. Something the denizens of the Abyss wouldn't want you to have because it's very rare and they want it for the Blood War or something. Maybe it's a kind of abyssal uranium or plutonium.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mithril seems rather...common for the Abyss.

I'm a touch wary of introducing some new supermetal that will dominate the proceedings. The players might really fixate on it, and suddenly you've got a game sliding away into alchemy and metallurgy rather than Githyanki. Saying that, the observation that Mithril is a bit common might not be wrong, per se; I could change it to something interesting and valuable (but not world changing) like the petals of a flower, that only grows in the Abyss, that could be sold for their strong hallucinogenic qualities...

Harzel

Adventurer
<snip>
who will trade it for the bedclothes of Zadara, the Titan who lives in Sigil (from Uncaged: Faces of Sigil, one of my all-time favourite RPG books). The bedclothes thing is to suggest that even plane-hopping aberrations can be creepy perverts.
<snip>

Well, then, why not just say "underwear" and be done with it? :p

So I’ve got this hopelessly convoluted series of steps,

Actually, I really like the box-within-a-box-within-a-box motif. (I have been known to wrap Christmas and birthday gifts that way.) Your players will be rolling their eyes (and, hopefully, laughing) by the time Zadara asks them to go mining.

<snip>
What would you do for this? How would you run it? Is there anywhere in the Abyss that I should use as the location for this? I’d like for a Demon Lord (from Out of the Abyss) to be the final boss - ideas? And is there something more fancy than Mithril that I should use instead?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Right off the top, what occurs to me is (of course) not any of the things that you asked for, but rather to ask whether you've got the climax of your story in the right place. After I read the second paragraph, I was expecting the freeing of the hobgoblins to be the big fight. Are they just going to walk into Tu’Narath and walk out with the hobgoblins in tow? If not, then you will have significant conflict in what should be the denouement of your story.

Just my 2 c.p. worth.

Actually, I really like the box-within-a-box-within-a-box motif. (I have been known to wrap Christmas and birthday gifts that way.) Your players will be rolling their eyes (and, hopefully, laughing) by the time Zadara asks them to go mining.

I did this part of the story tonight, actually. They did like it! They referenced a Deep Space 9 episode (one of the Ferengi ones) and seemed perfectly content with the idea of an actual quest rather than another item at the end of the chain. So my concerns there were unwarranted. And this way I got to use Zadara, as well as the Morkoth from Volos.

Amusingly, when I lowballed them with a 2% of the Mithril for the party, the party member present accepted it without blinking, so Zadara is fairly happy with the exchange as well!

Right off the top, what occurs to me is (of course) not any of the things that you asked for, but rather to ask whether you've got the climax of your story in the right place. After I read the second paragraph, I was expecting the freeing of the hobgoblins to be the big fight. Are they just going to walk into Tu’Narath and walk out with the hobgoblins in tow? If not, then you will have significant conflict in what should be the denouement of your story.

Interesting thought. My plan is that the trip to the Abyss will be a big event - say two weeks of tension and fighting - followed by a fairly talky section when they return to Sigil, discuss payment with Zadara, then head out to find and talk to the Morkoth. Say there is a minor fight on the Morkoth's island (which I'm visualising as one of the Half Life Xen levels), but mostly this is chatting. This then leads into the next section of the adventure, which is the players entering Tu'Narath and doing player character things there. I've not pencilled that out yet, but it won't be just a case of turning up and solving it on the spot; instead they'll need to find their way into the heart of the city (outsiders are not allowed outside of the merchant's quarter), and decide how to free the slaves. (They might contemplate trying to kill Vlaakith CLVII, which would be interesting.)

So, in short, I'm actually expecting the Tu'Narath section to be just as long, if not more so, than the Abyssal mining section. :) The denouement is thus not until they're on their ally's Astral Cutter sailing out of the city, I think.

Remove ads