• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AC of your 10th lvl character?

Wow... I guess my 10th level players are really underarmored then, despite the fact the group has three tanks!

We have:
A Warforged Fighter with an AC of 21
A Cleric of the God of War with an AC of 21
A Paladin with an AC of 20
A Bard with an AC of 20
A Rogue with an AC of 19

No one generally buffs up their armor during combat... the cleric concentrates on flamestriking people, the bard makes fumble fields, the rogue snipes and the paladin and fighter wade into the mess. So far they've been able to handle everything thrown at them (including a combo last session of a behir, a warforged titan, and a T-Rex, simultaneously, though one PC nearly died, and all the rest were at about half-strength).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wow... I guess my 10th level players are really underarmored then, despite the fact the group has three tanks!

We have:
A Warforged Fighter with an AC of 21
A Cleric of the God of War with an AC of 21
A Paladin with an AC of 20
A Bard with an AC of 20
A Rogue with an AC of 19

Well, they aren't underarmoured assuming they were all trying to ignore defense in favour of some kick-ass offense and/or light armour mobility style. If they were trying to defend themselves and be high-AC 'tanks', however, they were failing, since not one of them had an AC above 21, the 'casual tank' who just buys a heavy shield and full plate and calls it a day.

drothgery

First Post
My warforged artificer was usually in the high 20s/low 30s during combat by level 10, though I'm not exactly sure how he got there. Started out by heavily enchanting his Mithril Body and a Large Shield, had a little dex, then usually used an infusion to get natural armor and then Iron Construct (gain +4 Str, -4 Dex, DR 15/adamantine) in a tough fight. Okay, a melee artificer was a funky build, but it worked pretty well.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
ForceUser said:
Does the Heavy Armor Optimization feat allow the character to retain her full Dex bonus in full plate?

Whoops, no, you're right. The plate in the shop is mithral, and I forgot to adjust it from my character sheet. So, that's a 32 AC. Dagnabbit.

My DM will thank you!

Heavy Armor Optimization gives +1 armor bonus and -1 ACP when wearing heavy armor, and the improved version gives another +1/-2. Require heavy armor proficiency and +4 BAB for regular and +8 for improved.

Brad

maggot

First Post
My 12th level Elf Cleric Archer has an AC of only 18 (mithral chain shirt, +4 for dex). But then he uses magic vestment, shield of faith, and shield to get 27. (He can get shield because he has a wizard level.) Haste and cat's grace are also common, taking him up to 30. Next level, he'll get +1 more out of magic vestment and shield of faith.

Perun

Mushroom
My gnome druid had 21 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +1 bluewood [from FR's Unapproachable East) wild chain shirt, bluewood small heavy shield, +1 ring of protection), which increased to 25 with barkskin.

Now, at 12th level, I got 22 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +8 monk's belt [+7 from Wisdom 24, +1 5th-level monk class ability], +1 ring of deflection), which increases by +5 natural (barkskin), and +4 deflection ([/I]halo of sand from Sandstorm, doesn't stack with ring), for a total of AC 30, touch 25, flat-footed 28.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm not sure I remember exactly because that was a few levels ago, but I think my 3.0 sorceress/incantatrix had at lv 10:

+4 Dex
+4 Mage Armor
+2 Amulet of Natural Armor
+1 Ring of Protection
+7 Persistent Shield
AC 28 (from the front, or 21 from the back)

She had perhaps the highest AC in the party, at least for a while. It could have been definitely better (for ex. I didn't learn Haste).

Rev. Jesse

First Post
My 9th lvl barbarian half-elf, Trafalger, has an AC of 21, often increasing to 24 because of the druids' barkskin and sometimes going down -2 when raging.
Mithral Chain Shirt +2, Ring of Deflection and Amulet of Nat Armor +1 ea, and +3 from Dex, if your curious.

It does seem kind of low compared with the others in this thread, but my character has over one hundred twenty hit points and can drop an uninjured troll in a round. Mine is the only pure 'tank' character in the party, but one of the druids regularly helps as a secondary fighter in combat. He doesn't have the same hit points, though, so Trafalger is regularly left on his own.

When readied for battle, most of the party has an AC in this range, give or take 3 pts. The exception is the Vow of Poverty druid who can get something ridiculous when barkskined and wild-shaped.

Sammael

Adventurer
It is interesting to see that people who had AC above my listed value either:

1) used highly controversial official material (Vow of Poverty)
2) had more wealth than what is recommended by the DMG (significantly more, in some cases)
3) invested a disproportionate amount of wealth into defensive items
4) used homebrew rules and equipment

AC, like all other things, greatly varies depending on the type of campaign. However, going out of one's way to create an invincible (AC-wise) character does nothing except irk the DM and force him to metagame to be able to challenge one character without completely obliterating the rest of the party.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads