• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Accessory: Random Treasure Generator Version 3

Appleseeth

First Post
I don't seem to be getting any response on the House Rules forum, so I figured I'd post my request here. I created the Random Treasure Generator (available here: Dark Tales and Good Times | 50 Foot Divine Suplex) over a year ago and it hasn't changed much since. I've been getting quite a few requests to add items, but I lack the time to do it myself. Then another comment inspired me: Create a tool so people can add items themselves without editing the messy XML themselves.

So I'm looking for some feedback before I get started (or is it feedfirst?). Should the new tool be integrated into the Generator, or be seperate?

Truename

First Post
I don't seem to be getting any response on the House Rules forum, so I figured I'd post my request here. I created the Random Treasure Generator (available here: Dark Tales and Good Times | 50 Foot Divine Suplex) over a year ago and it hasn't changed much since. I've been getting quite a few requests to add items, but I lack the time to do it myself. Then another comment inspired me: Create a tool so people can add items themselves without editing the messy XML themselves.

So I'm looking for some feedback before I get started (or is it feedfirst?). Should the new tool be integrated into the Generator, or be seperate?

I'd rather you pulled from the DDI compendium.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Looks good.

I'd like to see a print option - generate your treasure, print the list. Maybe a player-friendly list you can hand out without the levels, etc. noted.

I can envisage using it to pre-prepare a pile of different level treasure parcels and just hand them out randomly. So an adventure has "two 8th level treasure parcels", I just grab two handouts from the 8th level treasure parcel pile and hand them to the players.

It would be lovely to have the treasure items described, but not essential. I guess that's the Compendium issue. It would definitely turn this into a "must-have" if it could be achieved.

NeutronSoup

Explorer
I think having it be a part of the tool itself will make people much more likely to add items. Here are a few feature suggestions:

- Export functionality. Being able to export the xml files easily might make it more likely for people to share their work.
- Automation for Items with Pluses. I believe the level increase for each plus is pretty consistent at 5 levels per plus. People could just enter the lowest Plus, the item level for that plus, and the tool could automatically create the next x number of items up to +6.

I'm actually working on adding the items from the Adventurer's Vault 2 right now. (Got through Armor in 2 hours.) I'm hoping to be finished by the end of the week, and I'll send them to you when they're done so you can post them on your site.

mentalcaz

First Post
I'm getting ready to start a West Marshes style gaming campaign and the random treasure tool looks slick and useful. I do agree with neutron a better way to input items would be handythough eventually if enough folks input and share there will be a handy community of data

Appleseeth

First Post
Thanks for taking this up NeutronSoup. I really appreciate it, as will all users/future users. I think this will finally be the week where I really get started working on the new item adder. Hopefully it will be quick enough work that simple items (staffs, rods, holy symbols, wands, etc.) will be ready to add by the end of the week. I'll call that a milestone, since that's a big chunk of work to get started with.

Appleseeth

First Post
Just thought I'd let everyone know that this project isn't dead. I've added Neutron Soup's AV2 items to my main files on my site. Work on the additional functionality is still ongoing though. Hopefully you will see some results soon. I spent way too long away from the initial project and its taking me time to reorient myself with C#.

jeffh

Adventurer
Is this still available in any form? The links on your site just take me back to the top of the page, they don't download anything.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads