• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Acrobatic Charge

Ransom

First Post
Acrobatic Charge
Prerequisite: Acrobatic

Benefit: You are able to make a full charge even while tumbling or jumping to get to your opponent. The appopriate skill checks still apply while tumbling and jumping.

I basically took the special ability from the Swashbuckler and made it a feat.
Should I add more prerequisites as the Swashbuckler doesn't gain this until 7th level?
If I add Mobility as a prereq that pushes it until 6th (3rd if human)
Or even another prereq involving skill ranks like a PrC?

Last edited:

AeroDm

First Post
Mobility seems good, I probably wouldn't require the 15+ dex. This feat seems pretty interesting and not overly powerful. IME if you have to tumble past opponents to charge, that means the following round you will be surrounded (read flanked) with your -2 from charging and will be promptly beat.

I think as many characters as possible should have access to this cool, flavorful, and overall fun (for players and DMs) feat.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Why not just allow it?

The DMG gives an example of someone stating an acrobatic manouver (swing on a chandelier, I think) and it suggests that the DM treats it as a charge. Might even have given a dm's friend bonus.

Making an option into a feat actually *reduces* the number of options that PCs have in a fight, and that is a bad thing IMO.

AeroDm

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Why not just allow it?

The DMG gives an example of someone stating an acrobatic manouver (swing on a chandelier, I think) and it suggests that the DM treats it as a charge. Might even have given a dm's friend bonus.

Making an option into a feat actually *reduces* the number of options that PCs have in a fight, and that is a bad thing IMO.
PS makes a good point. This may be too weak a feat to make into a feat, and allowing the action regardless of feat/no feat will end with the same affect.

I change my vote.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Cheiromancer said:
So the 7th level class ability of the swashbuckler is something you would allow for everyone? That doesn't seem quite right, somehow.

That is the fault of the ill-considered swashbuckler class. The designers fell into the trap of making a class ability of something which should merely be an option for anyone to try.

Ransom

First Post
Normally you can only tumble half your movement during combat, so there is no way I'd allow a tumble in the middle of a charge without this feat.

I don't see how it reduces the options players have considering its not an option at all by the rules.

The swinging off a chandelier bit, sure I'd allow it to start a charge but again not in the middle of one.

I guess I should have worded the feat to read:

Benefit:
You can tumble or jump at any time during a charge with no penalties. The appopriate skill checks still apply while tumbling and jumping.

I think this is a handy feat for anyone that wants to set up flanks themselves or charge through the cannon fodder to that wizard launching fireballs from the back line.

Remove ads