• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Acrobatic Stunt to "somersault over an opponent?"

GoLu

First Post
I don't think skills and defenses are intended to be compared against each other. They scale at different rates. The hard DC for challenges goes from 15 to 33, an 18 point difference between level one and level thirty. Reflex goes from 13 to 42, a 29 point difference. (That's according to the chart on page 184 of the DMG; the MM has monsters outside that range.)

Smeelbo

First Post
If walking by an enemy provokes an attack of opportunity, then tumbling through an opponent's square ought to. You're not shifting. Avoiding the attack by making a skill check greatly diminishes the value of the epic feat, Flanking Manuever, which requires training in Acrobatics.

Offering an attack of opportunity with combat advantage seems a small price to pay to move through an enemy's square at first level with a decent chance of success.

Smeelbo

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
The thing I dont like about this is is that with a long jump you have a DC 20 (DC40 without a 2 square running start) to clear 20 ft with your veritcal height cleared of 5 ft. But with Acrobatics you can stand next to a monster and do it for a DC of 15?

Or look at High Jump it is measured in feet not squares. With a running start you would need a DC 25 (DC 50 with no running start) to clear 5 ft. But with Acrobatics again as above you can do it with DC 15 with no running start.

It just seems silly. And they would both provoke attacks of opportunity

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The thing I dont like about this is is that with a long jump you have a DC 20 (DC40 without a 2 square running start) to clear 20 ft with your veritcal height cleared of 5 ft. But with Acrobatics you can stand next to a monster and do it for a DC of 15?

Or look at High Jump it is measured in feet not squares. With a running start you would need a DC 25 (DC 50 with no running start) to clear 5 ft. But with Acrobatics again as above you can do it with DC 15 with no running start.

It just seems silly. And they would both provoke attacks of opportunity

There's nothing to say that the acrobatics check is actually clearing the square. It could just as easily be tumbling, diving etc through the square.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
There's nothing to say that the acrobatics check is actually clearing the square. It could just as easily be tumbling, diving etc through the square.

The OP quoted the "flipping over an opponent" as his example. Tumbling thru a square is different, but wanting to do something with one Skill with a negligible DC that is covered by specific rules and examples in another skill that has much higher DC's is another.

GoLu

First Post
The OP quoted the "flipping over an opponent" as his example.
You probably shouldn't put quotes on that, since the only use of that phrase in this thread is your own.

But yes. If the OP requires that the character jump up, do a somersault, and land behind the opponent, then a higher DC could be reasonable.

On the other hand, if doing a handspring off the opponent's shield or shoulder and tumbling over them is good enough then the lower DC could be justified. A lot depends on how literal we're being. And whether the opponent is a gelatinous cube or not.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
You probably shouldn't put quotes on that, since the only use of that phrase in this thread is your own.

But yes. If the OP requires that the character jump up, do a somersault, and land behind the opponent, then a higher DC could be reasonable.

On the other hand, if doing a handspring off the opponent's shield or shoulder and tumbling over them is good enough then the lower DC could be justified. A lot depends on how literal we're being. And whether the opponent is a gelatinous cube or not.

Dictionary.com > Search Word Flip > definition #9 > 9. to turn over or perform a somersault in the air.

I believe the threads title utilized the word found there in the definition. I just chose to use a different word when I responded.

GoLu

First Post
Dictionary.com > Search Word Flip > definition #9 > 9. to turn over or perform a somersault in the air.

I believe the threads title utilized the word found there in the definition. I just chose to use a different word when I responded.

I know. The meaning didn't change at all. Still, when you attribute quotes to people, it's generally better to quote something they actually said. It's probably verging on Grammar Nazi territory for me to get hung up on this, but misquotes are a weird sore spot of mine.

Remove ads