• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action Point as Rewards

Family

First Post
What have you given out, recieved Action Points for?

(Also, I'm curious, how much xp/gold would you trade 1 for?)

Mort_Q

First Post
Family said:
What have you given out, recieved Action Points for?

(Also, I'm curious, how much xp/gold would you trade 1 for?)

I don't think I would allow PCs to buy Action Points with gold or XP. Those already have their own function.

I might consider giving Action Point tokens to players that come up with cool stuff, with the stipulation that they can only be given to NPCs or PCs that they aren't controlling.

Spend a token and give the PC or NPC one temporary Action Point that disappears at the end of the encounter if not used.

I'll need to see what already exists within the Action Point economy before I can really say. We know that at higher levels they can be spent to gain back daily powers... who knows what else?

Family

First Post
Oh I wouldn't allow trading them either, just curious as to how much people think they are worth, theoretically.

Also, this is post brings me to 300 pieces of information I've shared. Or to put it another way...

Sparta4.jpg

And yes, yes this IS madness.

duke_Qa

First Post
One of the only home brew rules I'm thinking about for 4e; granting action points for suboptimal but in-character choices.

example: Character has made a point out of hating spiders? if he is normally a fighter, and meets spiders and changes to ranged mode, i might reward one action point to allow him that extra "i HATE spiders!" feeling.

Since Action points is alot more common in this edition, i don't think subjective rewards like that will hurt the game. naturally you have to watch out for the spider-in-a-bag abuse, though i doubt it would happen if you are very subjective about dealing out AP's.

abyssaldeath said:
What would be the point? You all ready get an action point every other encounter and you can only spend one action point per encounter.

until you get the feat that gives you the opportunity to use multiple AP's per encounter. i bet a dollar that it's in there somewhere. and solos get two action points, how would they use that if they are supposed to only fight through one encounter?

Mort_Q

First Post
It worked in Eberron, but the Action Point effect and economy were different. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw feats that gave real or temporary action points.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Family said:
Also, this is post brings me to 300 pieces of information I've shared. Or to put it another way...

And yes, yes this IS madness.

Holy crap is that funny! Thanks! :D

Family

First Post
abyssaldeath said:
What would be the point? You all ready get an action point every other encounter and you can only spend one action point per encounter.

Are you mad!? ;) Action points are made of AWESOME! I'd love to be able to start "each" fight with an extra action to get things off right. An extra action each fight would make half the threads of how difficult KotS is disapear.

Has anyone here recieved or handed out a bonus action point yet?

keterys

First Post
I offer and give extra action points mostly for wow-ing the table (with extraordinary roleplaying or coolness), or making a notable sacrifice due to roleplaying.

I haven't given that many out... a few the first session I introduced it, but no more than one a session (and sometimes none) since then. Like, I gave out one last session during a big roleplaying argument between the group and the Stormblades (rival adventuring group) and one PC was head and shoulders away for great lines and stopped everyone at one point with some cool insult (which sadly I don't remember the specifics of now, but it was in a string of cool RP).

That One Guy

First Post
Well, I've made a house rule which is essentially a motivator for running a bunch of combats. Basically, a second action point costs two (So they'll have hit like... 2 milestones or four fights w/out using an action point (or full resting) to take advantage of this deal... which hasn't happened, yet). A third would cost three... which would take an ungodly number of encounters. I may try to reward RP or tactics w/ AP, but I haven't tried it, yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads