• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action Point Limits?

Stalker0

Legend
Hope we get a FAQ on this soon, I mean it should be a straightforward question to the designers. Did they intend the powers to give AP that could always be used, or only when you didn't have an AP already?

CountPopeula

First Post
I never at any time asked for a 'Daily-but-multiple-use-per-day' Power. I stated that it seemed to be more fitting as a Daily Power (usable once a day as normal), being that as an Encounter Power, it is not really usable every encounter.

As for your assertion about using it every encounter and holding on to your normally accumulated Action Points, to what purpose? You lose them all when you take an extended rest, so there is no point at all in hording them, as they serve no purpose. And if you use them in an encounter, then Archer's Glory is useless for that encounter, or any encounter where an Action Point is used.

I kind of think this is the point. Since it's a utility power, it's not really meant to be useful in every combat like the strict encounter/daily powers. Archer's Glory is there to give you an action point when you're out of action points. Just because you can use it every encounter doesn't mean it has to be useful in every encounter.

Had it been worded as an exception to the limit on action points, I could see the reason for confusion, but I think it's pretty straightforward as written.

As for the "you must use before the end of your next turn" part, that just means "Use it or lose it," not "you can't not use it." Though why you would use a power to gain an action point and not use it.... I don't know.

And I certainly don't think it needs "clarified in a future printing," as someone else suggested.

toxicspirit

First Post
I kind of think this is the point. Since it's a utility power, it's not really meant to be useful in every combat like the strict encounter/daily powers.
The point isn't whether it is supposed to be useful every encounter (Displacement or Spider Climb are not always useful in every encounter). The point is that as you describe it, it is designed specifically not to be usable every encounter (even though Displacement might not be useful, it is still usable every encounter). Are there other Utility Powers that are listed as Encounter Powers that cannot actually be used every encounter, or is Archer's Glory unique in that regard?

Danceofmasks

First Post
Note that there's no milestone if you don't win your encounters.
Archers, elves especially, skirmish .. reduce numbers and fade away.
Using those tactics constantly = never completing a milestone.

Andur

First Post
I run my group with any of the AP granting powers doing so in addition to the standard ones. They are like Temp HP though, so no PC can get more than one per encounter (they don't stack). So far it just encourages AP usage, with it actually being fairly rare that more than one PC gets to spend 2 AP's in one encounter. (Seems like they more or less have half of them use them in one nevounter and the other half in the next with the AP granting powers going towards someone without an AP)

CountPopeula

First Post
The point isn't whether it is supposed to be useful every encounter (Displacement or Spider Climb are not always useful in every encounter). The point is that as you describe it, it is designed specifically not to be usable every encounter (even though Displacement might not be useful, it is still usable every encounter). Are there other Utility Powers that are listed as Encounter Powers that cannot actually be used every encounter, or is Archer's Glory unique in that regard?

I don't see how it can't be used in every encounter. It can be used in any encounter, and gives you an action point to use or lose before the end of your next turn. It's useable in every encounter. It's just less useful if you already have an action point to spend. The same way Spider Climb is less useful if there aren't any walls. I'm not arguing semantics, either, there may be a good reason to keep an action point in reserve and use an encounter power to gain one instead. Plus with a regular action point, you don't have to use it within one round of downing a foe with a ranged attack.

If you want to say "I think it makes more sense that this action point can be used in addition to other action points in the same encounter" I don't think it'll break the game or anything. It's just not the way I read it.

theNater

First Post
I don't see how it can't be used in every encounter.
If characters are only able to use one action point per encounter and a battlefield archer uses a normal action point early in the encounter, that archer cannot(meaningfully) use Archer's Glory during that encounter. That's what has people concerned.

It doesn't bother me because I think action points are valuable enough that being able to use one every encounter(rather than every other encounter, like most characters) is a sufficient benefit for a paragon path utility power.

toxicspirit

First Post
I'm not arguing semantics, either, there may be a good reason to keep an action point in reserve and use an encounter power to gain one instead. Plus with a regular action point, you don't have to use it within one round of downing a foe with a ranged attack.
I can totally understand why you would want to keep one Action Point in reserve (typically the initial one you receive after an extended rest), but what purpose would be served by keeping any extra AP that you will undoubtedly accumulate throughout the day? They have no other uses outside of an encounter that I know of (at least for an Battlefield Archer).

icarusfallz

First Post
Again, Exception Based Rules. The basic rules state that you can only use one AP per encounter. Some powers break those rules. It's how this game was designed. I don't see why this is so difficult. Specific beats general every time.

Remove ads