• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action point question

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
So, the rules compendium states that action points, despite being free actions, can only be used on your turn. Perfect example of the exception based system. Some in my group are claiming that this was updated in the errata and that you can use your action point anytime because it's a free action.

I've gone through the collected errata and can't find anything about this. Has anyone else heard of this change? Am I looking in the wrong spot? Or are they smoking something? :p

Ardulac

Explorer
PHB said:
SPEND AN ACTION POINT: FREE ACTION
✦ During Your Turn: You can spend an action point only during your turn, but never during a surprise round.
✦ Gain an Extra Action: You gain an extra action this turn. You decide if the action is a standard action, a move action, or a minor action.
✦ Once per Encounter: After you spend an action point, you must take a short rest (page 263) before you can spend another. (Some monsters can spend
more than 1 action point per encounter.)

PHB p. 286, emphasis added.

Tony Vargas

Legend
There's also a 'clarification' that you can spend an action point after resolving a charge, which normally ends your turn. Action Points are prettymuch exceptions, in and of themselves.

Remove ads