• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Action Point use - timing

All,

A question related to action point use. Note that two concepts are key here:

PHB p. 287 explains free actions, "take almost no time or effort. You can take as many free actions as you want during your or another combatant’s turn.

PHB p. 286 explains with action points that, "You can spend an action point
only during your turn, but never during a surprise round." Thus spending an AP is a free action with caveats.

With these in mind, is it possible to use an Action Point in the middle of another action, assuming that action is occurring during a non-surprise round? For example, a ranger performing the standard L9 power "attack on the run". The power allows for 2 attacks to be made in the course of executing the standard action. Could an AP be triggered between attacks.

I've seen AP used in between a move, minor, and standard action but....

chaotix42

First Post
I wouldn't allow my players to take a move action inbetween those two attacks, so I wouldn't allow them to take a free action either. A free action is still an action, and as far as I can tell you gotta resolve an action before moving on to another.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Talking is the primary free action we use in my group. I don't see our DM coming around with the duct tape, so we get to talk no matter who's turn it is.

Mengu

First Post
Talking is the primary free action we use in my group. I don't see our DM coming around with the duct tape, so we get to talk no matter who's turn it is.

Doesn't mean your DM doesn't want to come around with duct tape. :]

Actually in one of our games, the DM doesn't allow for much talking during a surprise round. People who are surprised can't talk at all, people who aren't surprised are allowed to shout out a short phrase.

In my games, people talk out of character so much that I have considered more than just duct tape.

frankthedm

First Post
All,

A question related to action point use. Note that two concepts are key here:
No. Those are not the key concepts here. Spending the action point IS a free action. That adds the extra action to your allotment of actions for the turn. That extra action is not used as a free action.

PHB p. 286 Gain an Extra Action: You gain an extra action this turn. You decide if the action is a standard action, a move action, or a minor action.

DracoSuave

First Post
Actually free actions -can- interrupt another action. Some of the reactive 'When you do this, do that' free actions are of the interrupting variety. Elven Accuracy, for example.

Spending an Action Point is a free action, but with restrictions on when you can take it. So, if you spend it, you -can- take an extra action. You can technically -spend- the point in the middle of another action but what you can't do is take the extra -action- in the middle of another action. So don't, because it doesn't work out in your favor to do so.

EDIT: In fact, you have to be able to use it as a free action, mid action, in order to get the benefit from certain paragon path features. You just can't use the extra action in the middle of another action.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Actually free actions -can- interrupt another action. Some of the reactive 'When you do this, do that' free actions are of the interrupting variety. Elven Accuracy, for example.

There's a huge difference between "some free actions say they can be used in the middle of another action" and "all free actions can interrupt other actions."

Remove ads