• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Actors Having a Tough Time Roleplaying

The post you quote was not a verbatim transcript. It was an attempt to demonstrate a lengthy conversation involving multiple changes of strategy at length which couldn't be expected to happen in the heat of the battle - which as per my subsequent post explained, came about too often at the expense of the involvement of other players at the table.

You can produce a line by line critique by all means but the intent was to show the difference between pointed tactical changes and lengthy meta game base covering. I attempted to do this by having the one being a single line and the other being a wall of text. However the typing of the wall of text was taking too long so I ended up with a small fence or perhaps ornamental bush of text instead.

A counter example based on what I take away from your last post:

DM: Bill, your wizard takes 7 damage from the orc's arrow.
Bill: Oh no! That'll drop me. McSpellhappy flops down like a ragdoll unconsicious in a pool of his own blood!
Eric: Bill, did you forget to record the healing word I gave you on my last action?
Bill: Oh right. I got distracted when Joe spilled his soda and it slipped my mind. I guess I'm still standing.
DM: Sorry, but no, Bill. You already declared McSpellhappy unconscious and bleeding to death.
Bill: ...

Thoughts?

Oh dear god. That my friend is jumping to conclusions. Wearing boots of leaping.

Wow.

No, that is not what I do. Of course not.

i don't demand they play a part all night long, either. I just ask them to be in the moment during RP encounters and due to an excess of meta gaming/table captaining not to take the p*ss during combat.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Yes. You just included an example of a group, redetermining what was happening in the narrative, after a revelation of something briefly forgotten.

You disapproved of the group changing their tactics, due to the fact that the one PC with only 5 hit points forgot he could drink a potion instead. And so they decided to take out the sentry instead of shoot the wizard.

Same thing.

Was my example hyperbolic? Sure. Intentionally so. That doesn't mean they do not share parallels.

Sigh. I just made it up as words plucked from the air.

Of course I don't penalise hem for that. If anything I'm the one who reminds them.

You miss the point I was trying to make - for which I will accept blame for poor explanation.

My issue is as I stated before with meta gaming conceits. You chose to focus on the healing potion (which was just some words I put together and not an actual example). My point was on player A getting player B tk do something he didn't really want to do and then player C changes his choice as well all based on Player A trying to run the show and not letting B and C do what they want to do.

Shiroiken

Legend
Umm... I can totally see a professional actor NOT wanting to act as a form a relaxation (most people want to get away from their jobs during downtime). Let them enjoy the game the way they want to; if it goes against the way you wish to run/play, then I suggest shuffling your group a bit.

S

Sunseeker

I was once in a game with a theater major, nice guy, but loved to act. It was rather intimidating.

I'm betting these guys probably want to get away from method acting for a little while, heck, they might enjoy playing fantasy versions of themselves. Very few people want to do the same thing they do for a living as a hobby.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Sigh. I just made it up as words plucked from the air.
Cool. Me too. ;)

Of course I don't penalise hem for that. If anything I'm the one who reminds them.
Great! I think it's awesome when we all help each other.

You miss the point I was trying to make - for which I will accept blame for poor explanation.
Fair enough.

My issue is as I stated before with meta gaming conceits. You chose to focus on the healing potion (which was just some words I put together and not an actual example). My point was on player A getting player B tk do something he didn't really want to do and then player C changes his choice as well all based on Player A trying to run the show and not letting B and C do what they want to do.
Yeah. I didn't get that so much. As I read it, the one (albeit enthusiastic and attentive) player was getting involved in the tactics of play and helping remind his friend that he wasn't in as dire a situation as he first though. And in doing so, they came to a consensus on how best to resolve the scene for optimal enjoyment.

Sorry if I didn't see the "problem" as you intended and instead riffed off of what I thought you were getting at.

If one player is bullying another and directing others how to play, that is in need of a very serious, out-of-game conversation to resolve.

"If one player is bullying another and directing others how to play, that is in need of a very serious, out-of-game conversation to resolve"

Yeah which is why I made the rule about you say/your PC says too. It isn't aimed at anyone specifically, no need for heavy conversation, and it actually (who knew?) encourages more great RP moments.

For all the badwrongfun comments I've had about it, it works for us.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
"If one player is bullying another and directing others how to play, that is in need of a very serious, out-of-game conversation to resolve"

Yeah which is why I made the rule about you say/your PC says too. It isn't aimed at anyone specifically, no need for heavy conversation, and it actually (who knew?) encourages more great RP moments.

For all the badwrongfun comments I've had about it, it works for us.
I never said it was badwrongfun. Only that it can lead to odd situations. Probably because I see the line on "what you say your PC says" as being very, very fuzzy.

Clearly your wizard PC isn't actually yelling, "I cast fire bolt at the orc boss. Natural 20! That's a crit! He takes 14 points of fire damage!"

Or the rogue verbalizing IC, "I look around to see if there are any obvious protrusions or cracks in the cliff face that I might be able to take advantage of as I climb."

Those seem very odd things for characters to say...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Hi All,

Looking for some advice. Hopefully this poor horse hasn't been flogged too much already. Will try to make this short. I'm running a converted Rise of the Runelords campaign in which I and three of the four players are professional actors. However, getting roleplay going around the table is pretty difficult. They've all been playing a very meta style of D&D for a long time so it's a new idea for them to really jump into the roleplay wholeheartedly. They've stated that they're enjoying themselves a lot, that they love this gaming style, and are always eager to get around the table, but once there, they really tend to slip back into the meta approach. I really don't want to corner them into playing the game in a way that they don't want to but the potential for really great roleplay is there (actors) and they claim that they're open to it.

What I've done to encourage rp:

1.) Had them all write backstories and have incorporated those into the campaign.
2.) Made sure that I'm leading the way (actively roleplaying all npc's, combat encounters, descriptions, etc.)
3.) Doled out inspiration for good roleplay.
4.) Asked them to describe, "What does it look like when you X (finish the big bad, pass out drunk, etc.)
5.) Asked them how their pc feels when X happens (they learn their father is still alive, etc.)
6.) Pointed them to videos of sessions which are roleplay heavy (Fistful of Dice's Provokers Campaign, etc.)
7.) Written a review of each session in third person, essentially an ongoing fictional account of the campaign.

Still. . . not much progress. As I say, they may just not be up for it, which is fine. But they keep stating otherwise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance!

Some techniques that might help:

• Steer away from the writing assignments and homework. You want 'em to roleplay, not study! They know how to pretend to be other people!
  • Director Questions like "What's your motivation?" / "What is <character name> thinking right now?" / "What does <character name> want in this scene?" / "Give me that line, but bigger."
  • Point to the Flaws/Bonds/Traits/Ideals and ask them to use these like they would an equipment list - rather than "good roleplaying," let them play to their character traits.

Remove ads