D&D 2E AD&D 2e - Player's Options ?

atanakar

Hero
Did you buy and use these alternate rules and character options?

Wiki
« Player's Option
In 1995, TSR re-released the core rulebooks for 2nd Edition with new covers, art, and page layouts. These releases were followed shortly by a series of volumes labelled Player's Option, allowing for alternate rules systems and character options, as well as a Dungeon Master Option for high-level campaigns. They consisted of:
Some of the optional rules included the introduction of a point-based system to allow players to pick and choose parts of classes to make their own class, and a more tactical combat system including attacks of opportunity.»

For my part I tried to get a campaign started Skills & Powers but we never finished character creation. The players did like all the added complexity.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Yikes, memory lane. I recall using Combats & Tactics somewhat, adopting the grid (in the days before battle mats), initiative rules, and a handful of the combat rules. There's still only so many numbers I can cram in my head.

Used the high level campaign to make mage duels, but not much else. Overall, AD&D was already math heavy, and there wasn't a great deal of enthusiasm adding more to the mix.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I picked up a copy of Skills and Powers. I was terribly disappointed. We tried using a little of it and gave it up shortly thereafter.

I did use Spells and Magic as a reference in late 2e, but the experience with S&P soured me on the whole line.

DwarfHammer

Explorer
Yep, those were our go-to rules from ‘95 to ‘99. I have trouble thinking of 2e play without them.
We bought the books tried them and went back to normal 2E. I don’t know anyone that personally liked or use them. Personally I would rather recommend the rules in the DMG for creating your own class. I thought that worked better.

Can't say I ever used them or purchased those books. But by that time I had lapsed from gaming (the period covered roughly 1994 - 2000). For a summer in 1997 or so, I ran a 2e campaign, but that was just using the books I already had and didn't pick anything new up.

Remove ads