• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D 2nd reprints, covers revealed

JeffB

Legend
I had been hoping for the original print, but man they did a spectacular job on these covers, much nicer than the 1e and 3e reprint covers.

FWIW, they are available at significant discount through Amazon, as is the Original LBB set due in Nov.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Y'know, it's a little odd the picked the revised 2E covers (I wonder about the interiors). Of course, the 2E PHB never struck me as very D&Dish - it always felt too ... mundane.

Unfortunately, the price point is too high for me. I've still got my 2E books and they are in great shape (kept them in Dragonskins). I'd actually picked up the black-covered 2E core books because I didn't think they were going to reprint the 2E rules, and I got all three of them for about the cost I'd have to shell out for one of these.

GreyLord

Legend
I think they look graet, and maybe there will be more players

Why, they already have 1e available? I'd think they'd go for the first and best AD&D instead of second best?

;)

That said, I already have pre-ordered this set. Didn't really care for the revised interiors either, but for playing copies (yes, you heard that, I'm buying this set for a playing copy, so I surely hope it HAS high standards of production to stand a lot of abuse) it's workable.

Orius

Legend
Interesting.

It seems that these will be reprints of the revised editions given the pages counts and the cover art for the PHB and DMG, but they're using the original 2e logo that was dropped by the time TSR put out the revised books. Actually, I kind of like that because I prefer the original 2e logo to the later bland boring one, but I do like the layout of the black cover books. As for art, the black borders had a sort of dungeon setting depicted, while the originals were more vague. And let's be honest, both versions of the books had their share of horrid interior art. In any case, it makes little difference to me, I feel no need to replace my 2e books; my DMG has hardly any wear (like that's surprising), and the MM is in good shape. The PHB is in the worst shape, but not to the point where it's falling apart.

At least they're reprinting the MM rather than the MC binder, all 2e enthusiasts should be happy about that. ;)

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I'm tempted to pick these up, since I have very few surviving copes of my 2e books; they were very well loved over the years. A few years into 3e, I picked up some pristine copies of the original 2e PHB for a song, and someone later gave me a mint DMG, which I've kept "safe," but I would like to have some "playing copies" of the rules available, and while I do have a set of the revised printing, I dislike that version, so I'm hoping these are the original on the inside.

The price is steep, but as someone else pointed out, Amazon has them at more reasonable prices. I also find the covers striking, especially since the window design "fixes" the warrior on the PHB. I swear, once I noticed the business with the arm, I can look at nothing else when I see that image!

Maccwar

Explorer
I've bought myself the PHB and MM reprints and they are nicely done. The embossed covers are particularly nice.

2e is the edition I have played the most and it's great to see it on sale again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads