• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D and FR Comics

Sunglar

Explorer
Hello friends and fellow comic fans. I’m feeling a bit nostalgic for the AD&D/Forgotten Realms DC put out in the late 80’s early 90’s. I realize they were not terribly good (an issue I also have with the current Kenzer comics) but still they were great fun back them.

I have them somewhere in my collection but can’t really dig them out. Who remembers the character’s names? Are there any sites out there with info and/or images? There was a group based in Waterdeep and another one with a flying ship. Ah the memories… Awful as they were! :p

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I think you're talking about the crew of the Realmsmaster. I don't know too much of it, since I didn't read the series, but after it's run was over, it had an "epilogue" type short story in Dragon a few years later, along with 2 stats for the characters.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Actually, the Forgotten Realms Comic was probably the best in the whole series. It was well drawn, it had an engaging plotline, and you really could care for those characters - the AD&D comic felt like a mishmash to me after the first three or four issues.

The crew of the Realmsmaster was

• Dwalimor Omen - Wizard, Captain of the Ship, dying of mysterious illness, and possibly the first artificer in D&D
  • Minder - Female Dwarf, soul-transposed into the body of an Iron Golem by Omen, to save his dear friend from death
  • Foxilon Cardluck "Foxy" - Halfling Rogue, Gadabout, and Cheeeeese addict
  • Vartan Hai Sylvar - Gold Elf, Cleric of Corellon Larethian, formerly egotistical, now introspective, and possessing an almost Moses-like relationship with his god
  • Ishi Barasume - Lady Samurai from Kara-Tur; beautiful, deadly, too damned cocky
  • Priam Agrivar - conflicted paladin, secretly in love with Ishi, refused to admit it.

I loved that comic, and that it only had a two-year run was a crying shame.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
If you can find them, there's also two small hardbacks: Forgotten Realms, Sands of Anauroch. All the characters are drawn anime-style and it was pretty darn good. It disappeared without a trace after issue #2.

Sunglar

Explorer
Hey there! Wayne thanks for the rundown of the crew of the Realmsmaster. Indeed it was my favorite of the DC D&D comics. The AD&D one had a strange cast, the elf that was a half elf and then something else, Selune (did I spell it right?) as a bar owner…

The Spell Jammer comic was atrocious. I have many of the Kenzer comics but don’t like them too much. Does anyone know where I can get images from the comics? I have the whole run but looking for them will be harder that actually looking around the net.

WayneLigon, I got some of those comics too. I got rid of mine however. I only saw two but read somewhere on the net that all six came out. Go figure.

Back to work now.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sunglar said:
The Spell Jammer comic was atrocious.

Actually, there was ONE good moment in the Spelljammer series. I think it was in issue #7, there was a red dragon who had caused the inhabitants of a planet no end of grief, invading dreams, sewing discord, etc. It went on for one or two issues previous, until at the very end of the previous issue, one of the central characters of the series was caught by the dragon, and the dragon looked all-powerful, like it was going to dominate these puny humans.

The captain of the vessel, a wizard whose name I can't remember, finally tracks down the hidden instigator dragon, who is threatening to kill the weaker crew member as well as the Captain herself.

The Captain stares at the dragon, casts Finger of Death, and drops the dragon in one shot. "Amateur" she says, imperiously stalking off as the dragon keels over in the background. :)

Trainz

Explorer
I have the D&D No. 1 to 17 in VG to M condition.

I admit the characters were weird, but I still enjoyed them a lot.

Sunglar

Explorer
Dragon 247!

Another bit of info for fellow Forgotten Realms comic fans. Looking around the net I found out there was an article in Dragon #247 with the stats for the crew of the Realmsmaster. I had actually read it and forgotten about it. I was not about to dig through all the back issues so I booted up the old Dragon index CD and lo and behold, they there were, the entire crew in all their 2nd Edition glory. I love this…

The article even had character portraits by Rags Morales. Awesome! :cool:

Remove ads