AD&D Settings Sales Comparison 79-98

I know there have been a lot of these threads, and I'm holding off on any kind of overarching summary/compilation article until they're all in, but this one in particular jumped out at me. Again, this is from Ben Riggs, author of Slaying the Dragon, a history of TSR-era D&D, going out next month. https://read.macmillan.com/lp/slaying-the-dragon/ This graph shows a number of legacy settings...

I know there have been a lot of these threads, and I'm holding off on any kind of overarching summary/compilation article until they're all in, but this one in particular jumped out at me. Again, this is from Ben Riggs, author of Slaying the Dragon, a history of TSR-era D&D, going out next month.

This graph shows a number of legacy settings and the total sales of their core setting product. Forgotten Realms is, of course, the top one. Interestingly, the other two settings that WotC has revisited in 5E -- Ravenloft and Spelljammer -- are near the bottom of the chart.

Ben says he will be providing the remaining settings tomorrow, and I'll update this post with those when he does.
  1. Forgotten Realms
  2. Greyhawk
  3. Dragonlance
  4. Ravenloft
  5. Dark Sun
  6. Spelljammer

settings.jpg

Mezuka

Hero
It occurs to me that the fact that Spelljammer and presumably Dark Sun -- less settings, as far as sales are concerned -- are getting reboots suggests we are in fact in the late stages of an edition cycle.
We've known this for years. We all know 6e is coming in 2024.

Spelljammer is simply the cap stone to unite all the other settings they have published so far.

Remove ads

Remove ads