AD&D survey questions

ccs

41st lv DM
1) Do you use the racial level limits from the PHB or UA, if you use them at all? If you do use them, is it more for flavor or as a balancing factor?

No, we dropped them a long time ago.

2) Is the Barbarian from UA used in your games? If so, do you follow the class as written, or is it house ruled?

Yes. As written usually.

3) In general, what level do characters in your campaigns reach before putting them to bed and beginning a new campaign with new characters?

Around 10-15th lv.

4) Does your campaign use weapon armor class adjustments?

No.

5) Do your adventurers use henchmen? If so, do they have names and personalities? Do they ever get killed off?

Yes, yes, & yes.

6) At what level, if any, do you feel characters become imbalanced in relation to each other? For example, does the M-U become vastly more powerful than the fighter at xth level?

I do not hold this opinion. Never have.

7) Do you have any issues with the XP costs certain classes require to reach certain levels? For example, 200,001 xp gets the Druid to 11th level, but only 8th level for the cleric. If so, do you alter those XP requirements?

No issues, no changes.

8) Do 1st level characters in your campaign receive maximum HP?

Sometimes we do that. Other times it's whatever you roll.

9) Do you use the minimum/maximum racial ability scores illustrated on character race table III?

Yes.

10) Does your campaign allow races to take certain classes not allowed in the PHB, such as the elf being allowed to take levels in Druid? If so, what are they?

Yes. In general, only the Paladin was kept race-restricted. Paladins are a human only option.

11) Do you ever port over things from other RPGs? For example, using C&C's 4th level fighter ability that allows them to make an extra attack against creatures with 1 HD?

Over the years we've ported all manner of things in & out of our games. It's mostly a campaign by campaign thing. So just because x was used the last time doesn't mean anything the next.

11) What would you describe as the most significant house rule(s) in your game?

Dropping the racial lv restrictions.

BTW, you should be more specific when referring to AD&D. Remember there's AD&D 1e & there's AD&D 2e.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
1) Limits? No. But I do use the UA class restrictions
2) The Barbarian is allowed, but no one uses it
3) 20th+ characters get semi-retired, only used on special occasions
4) No weapon class adjustments
5) Yes, and they have personalities. While they do get killed, they generally get raised (at once past 3rd level or so)
6) They really don't. There's so much stuff in AD&D that isn't affected by magic that fighters are necessary for combat, if not for secondary things (like travel or healing)
7) I use the Cleric XP for the Druid
8) No, they use the minimum hp values from UA (basically average)
9) At start, but once the campaign progresses, no, as the whole level limits thing seems predicated on characters gaining ability scores of up to 22 (which is well beyond racial limits)
10) Not really
11) I've ported things over from other D&Ds, like some of different types of attacks from BECMI/RC
12) (You have two 11s). I basically use wound points which was originally from an old issue of White Dwarf, but later used in the Star Wars d20 game. Basically once hit points run out characters take damage to their constitution score, which represents physical damage. Once that is zero, they are dead. Basically it gives characters 10 or so extra hit points which also solves the problem of fragile 1e characters.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
1) Do you use the racial level limits from the PHB or UA, if you use them at all? If you do use them, is it more for flavor or as a balancing factor?
Yes - UA, a bit of both balance and flavor

2) Is the Barbarian from UA used in your games? If so, do you follow the class as written, or is it house ruled?
Yes - pretty much as-is but with less obsession with fussing about people using magic around them

3) In general, what level do characters in your campaigns reach before putting them to bed and beginning a new campaign with new characters?
No set limit, we would play with these characters, then these, then those others - all in the same campaign setting whatever we felt like doing.

Tried it with the initial shift to AD&D, became a hard "hell no" after that

5) Do your adventurers use henchmen? If so, do they have names and personalities? Do they ever get killed off?
Sometimes, usually if we're short-handed on something. And yes, they do have names and personalities, and sometimes get killed (and raised)

6) At what level, if any, do you feel characters become imbalanced in relation to each other? For example, does the M-U become vastly more powerful than the fighter at xth level?
Was never really an issue for us - with the possible exception of the rogue who felt kind of overshadowed in combat

7) Do you have any issues with the XP costs certain classes require to reach certain levels? For example, 200,001 xp gets the Druid to 11th level, but only 8th level for the cleric. If so, do you alter those XP requirements?
Yes, but it would have been a big pain in the butt to change.

Usually

9) Do you use the minimum/maximum racial ability scores illustrated on character race table III?
Yes

10) Does your campaign allow races to take certain classes not allowed in the PHB, such as the elf being allowed to take levels in Druid? If so, what are they?
Yes - we left most things open, but were pretty firm about dwarves not being arcane casters

11) Do you ever port over things from other RPGs? For example, using C&C's 4th level fighter ability that allows them to make an extra attack against creatures with 1 HD?
Yes, but usually as one-shot or minor sorts of things

12) What would you describe as the most significant house rule(s) in your game?
We used initiative more like 2e when we played 1e. We ditched non-weapon combat from AD&D in favor of an article in the Dragon called "Finish Fights Faster" because in both 1e and 2e, the non-weapon combat rules sucked.

jasper

Rotten DM
1. Yes as balancing factor.
2. Yes as written.
3. 8th or 9th. Generally had to move due to life before campaign ended.
4. Occasionally.
5. No. But did get hireling and loyal npcs once before campaign ended.
6. This depended on rules knowledge of the players.
7. No issues with xp cost.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10.Occasionally.
11. No.
12. What is now call spells slots, I called off the cuff.

You're making me remember back many, many years but I'll give it a shot.

We used them because that's what the rules said and we were 12. I believe we saw it as a balancing factor.

Yes used as written.

'Name level' for most characters (say 80%?), but up to 20th level for our pet PCs.

Yes. We had elaborate tables to track this!

Yes we used them. They did have personalities if they survived long enough to warrant getting them. But they died frequently so not too many ended up with personalities.

Man, we weren't thinking that way when we were early teenagers. I'd guess around 5th level (when the M-U gets fly, fireball, and haste) is when it becomes really obvious?

No, we just assumed Gygax knew what he was doing.

Yes - either by fiat or by 'lucky' rolling. ;)

Yes, we did.

Not that I can recall.

No.

Oof, hard to remember details that long ago. Generally we were by-the-book players. There was no internet back then so other than Dragon magazine no way to disseminate house rules across different groups.

Alignment Languages - I'm pretty sure we dumped these.

Encumbrance - we obsessively tracked it when we started playing, then quickly dropped it once it became clear that we couldn't possibly carry as much loot as we wanted to.

Various Dragon magazine sub-systems - these would get picked up for a while by certain DMs. I distinctly remember one DM who liked the 'threshold of pain' rules. Can't remember anything else in particular.

it's been years since I played, but...
1. yes, we used them, but it didn't really matter (see 3.)
2. No. The barbarian in UA was much to vague in some areas, overpowered in others. I rewrote it extensively for my own campaigns.'
3. While I once was in a campaign where characters reached 18th level, most of them tended to peter out by 12th level or so.
4. Not that I can remember.
5. Not really, although some had followers.
6. around 12 or so.
7. I can remember not liking them, but I don't think anyone ever changed them.
8. Not at first, but later on, we adopted that as a house rule.
9. Yes, we did.
10. I only recall one instance of that, with a game that had an elf illusionist. And that was a one-shot.
11. Not that I recall.
12. The only big one I recall was tinkering with the 'below zero hit points' rule; we reset them somewhat to allow for survival below -10, although it didn't happen often.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Looking at the answers thus far I'm quite surprised how many groups gave automatic max h.p. at 1st level. We never have - never even considered it - and it seems we're an outlier.

KenNYC

Explorer
I'm doing a bit of research on the way people play AD&D, toward the aim of creating a 'zine for Kickstarter's February 'zine initiative, and wondered if you good folks could answer some questions:

NOTE: If you are not currently playing AD&D, substitute "did" for "do."

!) yes, I kind of think you must use the racial limits. If you don't, nobody will play a human.

2) No, I don't use any UA when I DM. It should stay earthed.

3) When I played we got as high as 14th level or so.

4) No, the weapon armor adjustment, while interesting, is just too clunky. It does make sense that a weapon would be more effective in certain situations, but if it slows down the game it isn't worth it.

5) When I DM there are henchmen, followers, etc and they have names and personalities and are supporting characters who contribute or create story.

6) The M-U starts to show his stuff at 5th level with the introduction of fireballs and lightning. That said, I don't see the imbalance as a problem because it isn't a competition between the characters.

7) No, and it should be harder to become a 10th level M-U than a 10th level thief. That's why it is ok with the class imbalance.

8) Yes, but only because that's what people expect nowadays.

9) to be honest I am forgetting what you are asking aboit

10) No. If you want to be a druid play a race that is allowed. If you want to be an elf, choose a class that fits.

11) No

12) None come to mind except I use some basic rules and go rules light.

Remove ads