Adamantine Armor and Dwarven Defender DR Stacking

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Cool. I so rarely read the DMG that I missed that.

Elven chain is mithral
Dwarven Plate is adamantine

I like that.

Scion

First Post
While they do not stack by the rules I allow various forms of DR x/- to stack, assuming they are from different sources.

Such as the barbarians dr and adamantine armor. To me letting these stack is similar to letting a shield and armor stack, they stop the attack at different points.

I just dont like it that a barbarian is better off 'not' wearing adamantine armor than he is wearing it. I'd rather have the option open than closed ;)

iwatt

First Post
Scion said:
While they do not stack by the rules I allow various forms of DR x/- to stack, assuming they are from different sources.

Such as the barbarians dr and adamantine armor. To me letting these stack is similar to letting a shield and armor stack, they stop the attack at different points.

I just dont like it that a barbarian is better off 'not' wearing adamantine armor than he is wearing it. I'd rather have the option open than closed ;)

exactly. Tally me on the camp of those who let the avrious DR x/- stack. I can "see" a sword stroke been slowed by the toughness of the armor and then further be slowed by the DD preternatural ruggedeness.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I follow the straight rule on this one, and have more than enough "Coolness points" to spare. I don't really see a reason to House Rule it just so barbarians and dwarven defenders can get extra DR from wearing adamantine armor. Not every PC is going to benefit equally from every option.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Shouldn't Dwarven Stone Armor (in AEG) be more appropriate "official costume" for Dwarven Defenders?

In practice, I see more Dwarven Defenders in Mithral Full Plate (or Heavy Plate, Battle Plate, etc.). They have dexterity of at least 13 (for Dodge feat). With some dex-enhancing magic items, Mithral armors give them better AC.

Endur

First Post
Shin Okada said:
In practice, I see more Dwarven Defenders in Mithral Full Plate (or Heavy Plate, Battle Plate, etc.). They have dexterity of at least 13 (for Dodge feat). With some dex-enhancing magic items, Mithral armors give them better AC.

Yes, but part of the reason for that is that in 3.0, Mithral Full Plate was Dwarven Full Plate. When D&D went to 3.5, they changed Dwarven Full Plate from Mithral to Adamantine. Not all of the Dwarven characters have changed their armor, though. For Dex build reasons (since most PCs converted from 3.0 to 3.5 kept their stats the same) and for character history reasons.

Remove ads