• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Adamantine Weapons?

I am probably just missing this somehow but where is the information for weapons made of Adamantine? I can't seem to find it anywhere and some Golems still need weapons of this material in order to hurt them.

Cernor

Explorer
I think the only place it talks about adamantine weapons being used is in the section for Drow (MM pg. 127):

Drow craft weapons made of adamantine, a dark and supernaturally hard metal. Drow artisans adorn their weapons and armor with web-like filigree and spider motifs, and mages sometimes imbue items with magic to enhance their effectiveness.

So if you kill a Drow raiding party or trade in the Underdark you might be able to get adamantine weapons; other than that I don't think their use is mentioned anywhere.

Thyrwyn

Explorer
Magical Weapons still hurt them: Golems are immune to damage from non-magical weapons that are not made of adamantine, so any magical weapon will work. Haven't seen any rules for adamantine anywhere else, yet...

Paraxis

Explorer
Nothing official yet, sad to say.

Looking at the stat block for Drow I would say it is just fluff at this point, there doesn't seem to be anything special about them.

If I decided to use them, my first instinct would be to allow them to extend the crit range by 1 point, so that non-champions crit on 19-20. The reason is because adamantine armor makes you immune to critical hits so it would cancel the weapon benefit and l like that.

Rune

Once A Fool
Another approach would be to add a damage die to crits. If you're looking for an option that's less huge than expanding the crit range.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I have them bypass weapon resistances/immunities of the type of weapon they are (blunt, piercing, slashing).

Sort of a limited + 0 non-magical "magical" weapon.

Great for hunting demons. (Of course I have cold iron bypass demon weapon resistances too.

Paraxis

Explorer
Another approach would be to add a damage die to crits. If you're looking for an option that's less huge than expanding the crit range.

Good idea, but a flat damage bonus would be better so no confusion about do you double the extra die or not. So maybe +5 damage on crits might be a good property for weapons.

Will Sexton

First Post
Adamantium could potentially be light weapons?

In my Homebrew I have made it exceptionally hard to work with adamantium, but what I have agreed to, and I think is cool is im allowing adamantine weapons to be classed as light weapons because of its extra hardness ... less material is needed to create a versatile weapon.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads