• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adapting Curse of the Crimson Throne for Regency England

JBowtie

First Post
In a couple of months I'll be starting a new campaign, and after seeing the first couple issues of "Curse of the Crimson Throne" thought it would be not too difficult to adapt to 19th-century London. Class divisions, gypsies, exploited orphans and mysterious oriental societies are all key features of Korsova that mirror the real world.

I've had a first take at the conversion, and it is actually pretty easy.

**SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT**

I chose 1837 as the best starting point. It's between the Napoleonic wars and the heydey of Victorian-era fiction. This is important because it means that aside from Jane Austin heroines, there are not too many fictional characters likely to make a distracting appearance.

More importantly, in 1837 King Edward died rather suddenly and the 18-year old Victoria became queen, making the newly constructed Buckingham Palace an official royal residence.

Maps of London are easy to come by, here's one:
http://archivemaps.com/mapco/cary1837/cary.htm

Details of life in the period are also plentiful; searches including the term "Regency England" turn up tons of detail. What's more, Victorian sourcebooks will be largely useful as well, simply reduce the amount of gaslight and the availability of firearms.

With regard to the Sable Company, I took a page from His Majesty's Dragon (set at the turn of the 19th century) and transmuted the griffins into dragons, allowing me to use the series as a source of lore. (see also http://www.temeraire.org/).

With regard to magic, I assumed that professional magicians in the vein of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell would be acceptable. (Note that this book, like the Temeraire series, is set during the Napoleonic era.) Clerics, unfortunately, are out of luck as we otherwise have to wrestle with real-world religion. On the other hand, it makes the effects of the plague far more interesting when there are no ready healers.

In the same vein, if the adventure moves into the countryside I will probably be drawing on things like Stardust (well, anything illustrated by Charles Vess, really).

I don't think I will have much worry about locations of note (London is big enough to find anything interesting), but I am struggling to define the city districts and find real-world analogues of the government notables. This is the part I need the most help with.

If anyone has suggestions or resources to recommend, I would be most grateful.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Hey, this sounds like a magnificent campaign.

I'm afraid I can't help with your problem, because while I'm very familiar with the Regency period, I haven't read any of CotCT - I had been hoping to PLAY in it for once.

Have you read any of Caroline Stevermer's books (Magician of Quality, Scholar of Magics)? They may give you some more ideas for adventures and for how to "play" magic. One thing I'd suggest is possibly allowing wizards access to some healing, if you're removing clerics.

JBowtie

First Post
Well, if you can get hold of the 16-page "Player's Guide" you could probably help without exposing yourself to spoilers. :)

I have not read Ms Stevermer's books; I will have a look next time I am round to the book store/library.

I haven't quite decided what to do about healing yet; while it *will* be available in some form I need to get a better sense of what my players are considering first. I was thinking it could be provided between combats by a physician.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Well, it turns out I won't be playing - that game fell through. But I'm so busy now running a Hamunaptra game (unexpectedly!) that I'm not reading anything else for a while.

My fiction right now is all Lauren Haney's "Bak" series of mysteries set in Hatshepsut's reign.

Stevermer's books are mostly older - Library will be a better option than bookstore, I suspect. One of them (the first, I think), was co-authored with Patricia Wrede.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads