• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Adapting STK for tier 4 campaign

MonkeyWrench

Explorer
I'm currently preparing to run Storm King's Thunder for a couple members of my core group as a "spin-off" campaign to our main game. The players involved really want to continue to play their characters from OotA, and given that we love high-level DnD, I've decided to try and adapt the adventure for them. My problem is that I no longer have the time to pour through a stack of books and cook up custom adventures week after week. I'd like to use as much of STK as possible, but clearly it'll take extensive work to make a campaign meant for 5-10 level into a suitable campaign for 20th level characters.

The Party:
- 20th lvl Hill Dwarf (formerly Duergar) Oathbreaker Paladin - wields Axe of the Dwarvish Lords; Deep King of Gracklestugh; master of poisons, diseases, and fermentation. Inveterate liar. The player wants to play STK pretty much to kill giants in grotesque style. From an in-game perspective, the dwarf and his new wife (see below) have decided to take a break from ruling to go top-side and have a nice honeymoon/adventure
- 16th lvl Hill Dwarf/Werebear Totem Barbarian - wayward daughter of the Brawnanvil clan and one-time betrothed to Bruenor Battlehammer Jr. She fled her wedding to Battlehammer to elope with the Oathbreaker (a 33 Cha roll and a Philter of Love will do that), thus setting off a war between Gracklestugh and Gauntlgrym.
- Ancient Red Dragon/ 20th lvl Dragon Sorcerer - a shapeshifted Themberchaud who will accompany his favorite drinking buddy (Oathbreaker) to the surface because he's bored with the life of luxury he leads and wants to experience the novelty of mammalian/humanoid life.

Background:
We wrapped up OotA with the party basically collapsing half of Menzoberranzen cavern, destroying the noble quarter and wiping out 5 noble houses, Baenre included. In this power vacuum stepped a revitalized Gracklestugh, now the premier power in the northern Underdark. The war between Gracklestugh and Gauntlgrym goes in favor of the Duergar as they have PCs on their side, and other members of the original party are in a different spin-off campaign. The player of the Oathbreaker isn't really interested in actually playing out the course of the war, so we've decided to go on a giant-killing romp instead.

What I'd like help with is setting up STK. I think one angle is using the Stone Giants in Gracklestugh as a possible hook. At the very least using them to relay to the party that the Ordning is broken and giants are going buck wild. in terms of motivation, the party could care less about the plight of the common folk, and may be just as likely to murder the Storm Giant court as help them kind Hekaton. I don't mind significantly altering the module's metaplot/background, but I could use some help brainstorming ideas to get the ball rolling.

Ideas on beefing up encounters are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

discosoc

First Post
I'm not sure any amount of "beefing up" is going to make much of a difference if you've got an ancient red dragon in the group... I guess you could just replace the normal enemies with giants and the actual giants with titans?

MonkeyWrench

Explorer
I'm not sure any amount of "beefing up" is going to make much of a difference if you've got an ancient red dragon in the group... I guess you could just replace the normal enemies with giants and the actual giants with titans?

The idea is that the dragon would spend most of his time in humanoid form as a 20th level Dragon Sorcerer. This is purely an RP-based decision.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads