• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Add another 3 to the list of tabletop gamers.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I've introduced 3 new players to tabletop RPGs today, specifically Pathfinder's Rise of the Runelords, anniversary edition, as I had hoped it went quite well, and I already have some plans for the future with these's characters.

One player has played a lot a D&D-esq boardgames before, but never a straight-up tabletop RPG. She created a half-orc magus that was played as one might play a barbarian, and has already established her character's place as the most angry, frontline combatant in the group. He's gonna run into a group of Eldritch Knights later in the story, similar to him in spellcasting ability, but prejudice towards his orcishness, and the fact that he's a magus rather than a true wizard.

The second player has played some extremely rules-light World of Darkness in play by post several years ago. She made a somewhat charismatic half-elf ranger who has managed to get laid after just one session (but she doesn't know that her lover is just a few days away from having the ghoulification process forced onto him, muahahahaha).

The third has done about 1 hour of World of Darkness LARP, and he doesn't count that as experience, as he was dropped into it with no clue what was happening. He ended up building an elven wizard, and was startlingly competent, despite (most) Pathfinder casters being inadequate at low levels and powerful at high levels. His wizard got into a cat fight with the ranger in the aftermath of a big battle (and tried to charm person the ranger's lover, which failed). It ended up making the two women somewhat scandalous in the watching eyes of the townsfolk, who had begun to see the PCs as local heroes by the end of session 1, and the elf wizard has drawn the secret admiration of a shy (but talented) local gnome wizard.

And the final player had played exactly one character before, a monk. This time she built a cleric (of Asmodeus) with plans to slowly shift her character's alignment towards good as the campaign goes on. I've agreed that when the time comes, the particular good-aligned deity she's interested in will agree to welcome her to the flock (thus allowing her clerical powers to remain, not gimping the character mechanically for the sake of story). She doesn't know of my plans for her "test" though, where the goddess checks to make sure that she's truly redeemed (I'm thinking a 1v1 fight vs. the character's opposite self, PC playing a LG cleric of the one goddess fighting against a LE NPC using essentially the same build as the PC, just keyed towards evil instead. The point wouldn't necessarily be to win, it would be to prove herself through how she handles the situation of facing her own evils).

The session itself went for about 8 hours, with a fair bit being the slow process of helping 3 people do character creation (I helped the ranger get her character ready before game day, as she was my roommate). The game was interrupted by tons of puns, memes, innuendos, and an oddly funny discussion about how the wizard would eventually create a permanent Ghost Sound of farting noises to follow around PCs who had ticked her off enough by 9th level. They fought goblins and enjoyed seeing odd goblin-ish tactics such as goblins pelting them with fruit, goblins attempting leaping charges from tabletops and only managing to cover half the distance before falling flat on their faces, and goblins kicking sand in PCs' faces, pulling down PCs' pants, and attempting to tug the legs of PCs out from beneath them in a sort of awkward trip attempt.

Overall it went very well, though the group is difficult to organize. Our next session will be in 2 weeks, hopefully, and then after that university will be back on, and we'll have 1 player (and myself) for whom we'll have to be conscious to avoid scheduling games on school nights.

Remove ads