• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adding crit multipliers

Spove

First Post
I know this has been covered, but can't perform a search even though I am logged in. So here goes again.

My question involves calculating critical damage with a spirited charge.

A spirted charge does x2 with a melee weapon and x3 with a lance.

I seem to recall that the formula is that you increment the crit multiplier each time it's doubled. So a crit with a lance and spirted charge would be at x4. And a melee weapon crit would be x3.

Yes?

hong

WotC's bitch
A lance does x3 damage on a crit, so if you crit on a spirited charge, you do x5.

Think of a multiplier of xN as doing an additional (N-1)x100% damage. You add up these increments to get the final result. In this case, x3 and x3 = +200% +200% = +400%, which is x5.

hammymchamham

First Post
hong said:
A lance does x3 damage on a crit, so if you crit on a spirited charge, you do x5.

Think of a multiplier of xN as doing an additional (N-1)x100% damage. You add up these increments to get the final result. In this case, x3 and x3 = +200% +200% = +400%, which is x5.

Nope. A lance does a d8. A crit adds 2d8 (a x3) and spirited charge adds 1d8 (a x2) for a total of 1d8 + 3d8 (a x4)

hong

WotC's bitch
hammymchamham said:

Nope. A lance does a d8. A crit adds 2d8 (a x3) and spirited charge adds 1d8 (a x2) for a total of 1d8 + 3d8 (a x4)

Spirited Charge does x3 damage if you use a lance. It's one of those fiddly things in the rules, like how Combat Reflexes lets you make AoOs when flat-footed.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
hong said:
Spirited Charge does x3 damage if you use a lance. It's one of those fiddly things in the rules, like how Combat Reflexes lets you make AoOs when flat-footed.

No, it's just the designers doing work ahead of time. Lances deal x2 damage when charging, so lances with Spirited Charge deal x3.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads