• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Adding music to your session

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Hey All, what does everyone use for background music/effects for your sessions? I've heard Syrinscape is the way to go. Thoughts?

One of three things, usually.

get on YouTube, make a "watch later" list of appropriate music, depending on setting and the specific adventure. In an Eberron urban adventure, for instance, I play a lot of jazz, along with some of David Bowie's weird stuff

Find a soundtrack on Spotify, play it.

YouTube, search DDO music, play a playlist of it. It's great music, some of he best I've heard in an MMO, and perfect for setting a tone without distracting people.

Dualazi

First Post
I believe if you use roll20 for games as well it has a built-in function to play music, either continually or upon loading a new map/area.

Any of the three Thief soundtracks are fantastic, especially for dungeons. I combine them with various ambient sounds that play alongside the music. (I have two music players on at the same time)

DaveDash

Explorer
I believe if you use roll20 for games as well it has a built-in function to play music, either continually or upon loading a new map/area.

It used to allow music from SoundCloud, but SoundCloud have recently blocked roll20 access. :(

The other platforms are no where near as good.

It really sucks, actually. Once you get used to music in D&D it really adds to the immersion.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Li Shenron

Legend
I vaguely remember that there was a free version of SyrinScape, but then it was changed to commercial? I would use something like that if it were free of charge.

Currently I just use Spotify playlists, of which I already have several depending on the type of scene, such as taverns, overland travels (different terrains), dungeons, temples, battle... my playlists are growing and changing over time, for example I found out that after a while "battle music" becomes really annoying unless the fight is relatively short.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Hey All, what does everyone use for background music/effects for your sessions? I've heard Syrinscape is the way to go. Thoughts?

I've tried Syrinscape it was fun for a bit but the UI got annoying. I'd like to be able to build a shortcut screen to activate the various soundscapes I'm expecting to need for the evening but there's no way to do that. So I got tired of fiddling with it.

In the end I've stopped using music/ambient effects which makes me sad. I'll try some of the other suggestions here.

Remove ads