• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adding stunts to D&D & using feats you qualify for

SBMC

First Post
Does this not then sort of decrease the value of one of the core mechanics of the game - Feats themselves. The idea of the feat is to allow you to do something that someone else can't - can't at all. I enever read those books - so I am not sure on the exact mechanics (so perhaps below I am just saying what they do/or perhaps even what you are saying already). Anyways:

Suggestion:
Stunts can be mimiced by simply telling the DM what it is you want to do - hen the DM decides exactly what checks are required.

So for example:

"I jump up 5 feet, grab that rope that is tethered against the wall, swing over to the ogre and as I pass by hit him with the sword."

Example:
Jump Check (jump and grab the ope)
Climb Check (Hold onto the rope while swinging)
Attack Roll (to hit the Ogre)

Now you could easily also create "stunts" much in the same way feats are created; if you have feat "X", Attribute "Y", BAB "Z", etc, etc. then you can do these three things with this type of a roll...

So say I have to have 5 jump ranks, 5 climb ranks, a Dexterity of 13 and a Strength of 13 to do the above as a full round action. With a DC of 15 + 1 for every 5 feet of swinging I would do (just as an example only)

Say If I wanted to be able to jump from above, land on a creature and either stay on their back to stab at them, or use them to soften my fall:

Jump 8 Ranks, Dexterity 13, Leap Attack (from CA), Strength 15

I then make a roll along the same lines as a Bull Rush or Overrun Attempt. Mayb I ahve to make a grapple check as well - or someohow work that into one roll.

Now these "Stunts" need not be "taken" - You can jut do them if you have the prequisites. Sort of works like trained and untrained skills (dc10 max sort of a thing)

Thoughts???

Cyberzombie

Explorer
genshou said:
Perhaps you should also rule that the same feat cannot be mimiced for two (or perhaps three) consecutive rounds. That prevents someone from having one "always-on" feat.

One of the things about a stunt in Exalted is that you can't do the same stunt twice, much less over and over. You have to be inventive and make new stunts each time. So if you want to keep using the same feat over and over, you had better be darn inventive.

RisnDevil said:
Why not make it cost an action point? I personally say there needs to be more diverse options for action points, along with more action points in general......

I could do that, but it's a different direction than I was thinking. I could consider that, though.

William Ronald said:
I think you might want to take a look at the action point rules in Unearthed Arcana. I hope the suggestions in this thread help you out!

I've got the book, so I'll take a look at it.

Ravellion said:
Once a day, you're allowed to make a DC 15 Charisma check as a nonaction during your turn. If successful, you can use a feat you qualify for until your next action.

Add to that a feat that gives you three attempts per day, and a +3 bonus to the check.

Hmm. I like the idea of using Charisma for something more. I'm not sure that's quite the mechanic I'd want to use, but it gives me more to think about.

SBMC said:
Suggestion:
Stunts can be mimiced by simply telling the DM what it is you want to do - hen the DM decides exactly what checks are required.

Another interesting idea. I'll have to go over your post more and think on that.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. They're great. :)

I got the following idea off an old RPGnet thread...

I've been spoiled by Exalted and made up a stunt system for D&D. Part of what makes Exalted great is the character's ability to pull off multiple actions. D&D, with its precise definitions, doesn't allow for such things without the use of spells like Haste.

1. Pretty Good Description. Either a good description of the action or a minor but cool stunt. Character receives an extra move-equivalent action.

2. Entertaining Description. A little more daring and risky. Something only heroes would try. Character receives an extra standard action.

3. Wow! When everyone takes notice. Character receives an extra full round action.

When you start doing stunts multiple times, it creates a chain effect. Every check and attack roll made during the extra action receives a +2 bonus. If the extra actions are stunted as well, the bonus increases by +2 for each one. The most anyone in our group has done was 2 Wow! stunts and an Entertaining Description stunt.

This rule alone has totally revived our D&D games.

Haven't used it but it can't hurt.

You might also want to check the Book of Iron Might. It has a more extensive stunt system.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Thanks, Uematsu. I kind of like the RPGNet idea, but I'm not sure how well that would work *with* the existing additional actions rules for having a high BAB. Another thing for me to think about. :)

I'll have to check out the Book of Iron Might. I own it, but I've only skimmed it so far. Thanks for the heads up on their stunts -- I'll have to see what Mearls did with them.

Remove ads