• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Addition of poison rules from BoVD

azhrei_fje

First Post
I'm always leery of allowing material desired by players for the betterment of their characters (who isn't?) so I'd like to get the opinion of the hive on the poison-making rules from the BoVD. I don't own the book myself, but the player has sent me the rules for Craft(poisonmaking) (including Table 3-6).

I'd like to hear from anyone who is currently using these rules in their 3.0, 3.5, or Pathfinder campaign. For the PF campaign I'm running, I expect to bump the craft DCs by +3 points to compensate for the extra +3 received for class skills in PF. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I noticed the table notes say that a couple of poisons do "vile damage", but what is that? Does it matter to my campaign? If I ignore that note are the rest of the statistics for those poisons still appropriate? I'm more inclined to remove those poisons than to modify the stats.

The description in the PHB says that the Craft skill allows a character to create objects after "one week of dedicated work". What is "dedicated"? Does it mean the same as for wizard spell research and such, requiring that no other strenuous activity take place? If the PC is interrupted in the middle of the week to do some adventuring, can they come back and pick up where they left off with the poison-making? (I'm inclined to say "no", since much of the craft is likely timing based.)

I plan to require the PC to hunt any creatures they want to use to make poisons and the craft check itself will likely consume quite a bit of game time, taking the character out of action for awhile. This isn't much of a disincentive for this PC as the player will likely miss one or two game sessions out of every five or six. Because of that, they will receive less XP -- should they gain any XP for the crafting of the poison?

I'd appreciate any insight you might have on this. Thanks!

azhrei_fje

First Post
Yes, you're right about the +3 to the skill checks. I wasn't thinking clearly. I have since looked at the "poison maker" build in more detail.

Thanks for the advice about trying the 3E forum. I've not gotten many responses here, so I'll try that. :)

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Vile damage is nasty, nasty stuff. It does not heal naturally, only capable of being healed by spells (get your player to send you the rules on it), and is generally inappropriate for any campaign outside of Warhammer, Cthulhu, or really nasty Ravenloft campaigns.

I can't find my copy to dig up and look through, so I can't advise you on the statistics. Hopefully the other thread will garner more specific input.

Good luck.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Vile damage can only be healed inside a consecrated area. It has been made more powerful in 3.5 since consecrate is a good spell now. In 3.0 it wasn't and makes running an evil campaign a bit harder on the players (which I don't really mind).

Remove ads