• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

additional powers

CapnZapp

Legend
Simple question:

What options (builds, items, etc) are out there (official WotC books only, please) that give you additional class powers (encounters and dailies, I guess, but feel free to add in any way of getting additional at-wills too)?

I know of several ways you can swap one of your existing powers for a new one, but my question is about getting more powers and not merely added flexibility.

For example, is there any item or build that can give a character one extra level 5 Encounter power? (Just to pick a random example)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ulthwithian

First Post
The few I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Human gives you an extra At-Will from your class.
2) Half-Elf gives you an At-Will from not-your-class as an encounter power. Paragon tier feat allows you to make this power At-Will.
3) Some multiclass feats give you an At-Will from the appropriate class as an encounter power.
4) There are several feats/options that allow you to recharge a power that you have used. While this does not help the breadth of options you have, it does allow for extra depth.
5) The Wizard has a couple of class features that allow for added flexibility, but none really add 'new' powers.
6) However, on the Wizard note, Wands and Tomes sometimes have spells 'inside them' that you can use.

That's most of the options you have from core, I think.

CapnZapp

Legend
Thank you.

Exactly: I'm after breadth (and not merely "depth").

So the Tomes of Arcane Power doesn't qualify, because to get their powers you need to expend one of your own powers of that level (which means a net gain of zero).

OTOH, Armor of Exploits (from AV) counts. Sort of. It allows you to "store" a power and to use it as a daily.

However, the stored power can't be a daily, and so it falls into line with all the rest of the "use an at-will as an encounter" or "use an encounter as a daily" possibilities.

These there are plenty of.

In this thread, I'm more interested in seeing if there's (yet) any "here's an extra Daily for you" powers/items/choices. :)

Ulthwithian

First Post
Er, wouldn't they totally unbalance the rate at which you gain powers? It sounds like you're deliberately trying to circumvent the design WotC has created.

As far as Dailies are concerned, most items have Daily powers associated with them. Of course, they have their own limitations on them.

While I sympathize with your goal, I don't think WotC will release many options for this kind of thing, as it goes against their design paradigm.

CapnZapp

Legend
Is that a "no, I haven't seen any"?

Please keep the discussion of why or why not there should be any out of this thread. Thank you.

I'm only asking if there are any, plain and simple. :)

So, anyone else who has found something?

CapnZapp

Legend
As far as Dailies are concerned, most items have Daily powers associated with them. Of course, they have their own limitations on them.
Yeah, I should probably clarify I'm asking about class powers.

Item powers are plentiful, but seldom very interesting. Items yielding class powers, otoh; they would be very interesting (regardless of any limiting factors or extra costs and whatnot)!

yesnomu

First Post
Salves of Power (AV) let you spend a surge for a daily recharge.

Wands store arcane encounter powers, and let you use them as daily item powers.

The Dhampyr Bloodline feat from Dragon gets you an extra encounter attack power.

At epic, the resurgence feats let you get stuff back, and there's always Demigod, of course.

Also: the Revered One ED lets you take any Channel Divinities you want, and eventually use all of them.

Generally, getting more powers is highly restricted. They have a careful powers balance in place, they don't want some characters having more than others.

Ryujin

Legend
Are not Dragon articles also official Wizards? The Deva Bloodline feat has a daily power that gives +2 to all defences.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
The Fey Beguiler Paragon Path (for Gnomes only) includes the Clever Versatility feature at level 12, which gives an extra rogue or wizard utility power of 10th level or lower.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads