• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adent Champion. Rules lawyers required

BobTheNob

First Post
And then Precision explicitly states (with no ifs, butts or maybes) that scoring a critical hit does not mean an automatic hit with 20s.
That is absolutely true. Precision is states its case exactly. I have never argued that it doesnt (in fact, I have stated multiple occasions that it does).

But so does doly ardor. What is sais is completely explicate and completely contradicatory to Precision.

The example of the fireball (read any power that does damage). I could argue that, given a good 80-90% of attack powers stipulate damage, that the base damage stipulated on a power is the general rule and that the boosters to this (Weapon Focus for example) are the specifics. But I wouldnt argue it becaue its an example which is in no way in debate. It is the understood and accepted norm, so we dont even need to apply rules of specific vs general to it. Its comparing apples and oranges.

Now you said the daggermaster is irrelevant to this discussion (yet you thought comparing fireball damage was?). I included him as an example of when precision is applied and pointed out why, so no, its not irrelevant at all because it helps us understand when precision is applied. Same goes for weapon mastery and I could just as easily used them as the example. In both cases, the syntax against them is non explicate and therefore there is no conflict.

DracoSuave

First Post
That is absolutely true. Precision is states its case exactly. I have never argued that it doesnt (in fact, I have stated multiple occasions that it does).

But so does doly ardor. What is sais is completely explicate and completely contradicatory to Precision.

All Holy Ardor states is it is an ability that allows you to score critical hits. This is why Precision applies directly to it. Because Precision governs abilities that score critical hits.

It doesn't govern abilities that 'can score a critical hit' It governs abilities that allow you to score critical hits. That's the difference. You're arguing that the absense of the word 'can' excepts Precision from affecting it, but nothing in Precision indicates that -potentiality of a critical hit- is necessary for it to work.

Because class features don't -give- permission to their governing rules to work, the rules just work unless the feature says it does not.

The example of the fireball (read any power that does damage). I could argue that, given a good 80-90% of attack powers stipulate damage, that the base damage stipulated on a power is the general rule and that the boosters to this (Weapon Focus for example) are the specifics. But I wouldnt argue it becaue its an example which is in no way in debate. It is the understood and accepted norm, so we dont even need to apply rules of specific vs general to it. Its comparing apples and oranges

Ah, and that is why your argument fails. Because it means, catagorically, that a class feature, power, or other specific endevor does not have to state potentiality for rules to govern it in order for those rules to, in fact, govern it. In other words, a specific rule does not have to say 'You -can- do X' in order for rules that govern how 'do X' works apply.

Fireball does not have to state permission to resistance to resist it.
Push powers do not have to state permission for the rule on how pushes work to state movement away.
Teleport powers do not have to state permission for OAs to fail against them.
Ongoing damage does not have to state permission for you to apply only one of each damage type.

And this means one very simple fact.

Some exceptions have specific game rules that govern or restrict how they work. All of the above are exceptions to the rules on how things work. And all of them have -other- rules that govern them and tell you how to adjudicate those exceptions.

In the absense of specific text outlawing those governing rules, you apply those governing rules. So restistance -can- work on fireball. Teleport powers -do- avoid OAs. Ongoing damage of the same type -does not- stack.

Now you said the daggermaster is irrelevant to this discussion (yet you thought comparing fireball damage was?).

It's called disproof by counterexample, where you take the same argument form your opposition presents, and you substitute other premises while retaining the form of the argument intact.

In other words, your argument (that Precision doesn't work because Holy Ardor doesn't mention you 'can' score a critical) is debunked because other instances in the game work fine without that magic word 'can'. Fireball doesn't tell Resist Fire how to do business, Resist Fire tells Fireball what is what. Fireball doesn't say 'can' deal damage? Who cares. Irrelevant to how all this works.

You're saying 'This situation over here must be different because of the absense of a single word.' My rebuttal to that is 'That word is not necessary. Here is why.'

And I have proven it is not necessary, by using other examples of its absense, and noting that its absense does not affect the situation, that its absense does not change how things interract.

You have stated that the word 'can' is necessary for a governing rule to apply. I have proven to you, by counter example, that it is not. It is at this point no longer an 'opinion' that it is unnecessary, it is a proven fact. The word 'can' is not relevant.

At that point, a discussion on the word 'can' becomes a discussion on whether or not it is more elegant to include it or not. And not relevant to the task at hand.

I included him as an example of when precision is applied and pointed out why, so no, its not irrelevant at all because it helps us understand when precision is applied. Same goes for weapon mastery and I could just as easily used them as the example. In both cases, the syntax against them is non explicate and therefore there is no conflict.

But the word 'can' is not necessary for governing rules to work. The word 'can' isn't important because governing rules don't care. So yeah, daggermaster says 'can' but that doesn't matter because Precision is a governing rule, and it applies to the situations it describes. Pushes still move away, even tho the powers in question don't say 'You can push a creature away from you'. Thunderwave doesn't need to permit the push rules to restrict how it works. They just do.

The word 'can' is there for aesthetics, and nothing more. Proven as above. So it's inclusion or non-inclusion is not considered as part of the argument, and is rejected thusly. Please do not continue to insist it matters. It clearly does not.

In other words, Holy Ardor doesn't need to give the rules on what 'score a critical hit' can and cannot do permission to apply. What it has to do is say when those rules do -not- apply, which it hasn't actually done.

Last edited:

BobTheNob

First Post
I think at this stage both of us have stated our respective arguments repeatadly and neither have managed have sway the other. To respond at this stage would just be to repeat my position (which failed to win you over) again, and your counter response would mean the same to me.

Your points about the niggly nature of wording involved are well received and understood.

I think my next point of call on this will be Customer Service (FWIW) and will use the discussion in this thread in concert with the information I receive as official clarification to determine how it will be intereted for our groups game.

Who knows, maybe Divine Mastery eratta will add the key word that clarifies exactly how this is meant to work. We can only hope.

Thanks again to all contributers (Look forward to seeing you in another thread Draco ;))

pascalnz

First Post
ah ok mirtik, you think it doesn't say that it is hitting automatically and I think that is excactly what is is saying.

you think it's reminder text, I can't fathom such a basic rule would ever need reminding of. I've seen a very tiny amount of reminder text, but it's usually on barely used easy to mistake rules, not a rule you see in place and used every encounter while also being beyond any kind of debate as to how it migh work.

it's a rule even less complex than if you roll a 20 you score a critical damage unless you couldn't normally hit, then it's just regular damage.

and I would balk at a reminder saying remember you can't miss on a twenty, which is the equivalent of this.

basically if you think it's a reminder that's fine.

if it's not reminder it can't mean anything else except that you do actually critically hit on any double numbers except ones...
where you miss.

surely?

DracoSuave

First Post
if it's not reminder it can't mean anything else except that you do actually critically hit on any double numbers except ones...
where you miss.

surely?

Set A is the set of occurances where rolling doubles is not an automatic hit. p(x) is the situation where the number x is rolled on both dice.

The natural 1 rule on Holy Ardor says that p(1) is in the set.

Now, how, -exactly- does that say that other members of the set cannot exist?

Surely not. It'd be easier to say 'It automaticly hits except on ones' if that were the intent. You know. Saying things directly.

That's what rules do in these parts.

Samir

Explorer
This debate has been raging for a while on gleemax, and the more I see of it the more I'm convinced that double 2s means a critical hit, but some more CS responses would definitely be helpful.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
This debate has been raging for a while on gleemax, and the more I see of it the more I'm convinced that double 2s means a critical hit, but some more CS responses would definitely be helpful.
IMHO, CustServ has very low cred*.

I'd rather they address this with errata, or at least in the FAQ.

Cheers, -- N

* (That cred goes up every time they agree with me, of course.)

DracoSuave

First Post
IMHO, CustServ has very low cred*.

I'd rather they address this with errata, or at least in the FAQ.

Cheers, -- N

* (That cred goes up every time they agree with me, of course.)

Heh, I -do- agree with you on that point.

The trick is, as always, to ask them why it works. Generally you get better responses that way.

Eldorian

First Post
The biggest thing that bothers me is that people are claiming that the Holy Ardor rule is somehow an exception to the precision rule, when in fact it is the precision rule which is an exception to rules that allow crits on rolls other than 20s, which is what Holy Ardor is.

The rule which is most specific is the first rule in the line of reference. Precision refers to paragon path abilities which let you score a critical hit on rolls other than 20s, which refer to the rules on critical hits.

The word "can" here is irrelevant. I suppose that abilities which say you "can" score a critical hit allow you to make the choice of not scoring a critical hit when you roll a 19 and hit or whatever, and that Holy Ardor does not let you make this choice. I guess you could make the argument that if you can crit on a 19, and you hit an ally with a 19 accidentally, then you can choose not to critically hit, and that argument could be discussed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads