• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Adept of the Heavenly Blade (D20 Modern & DnD 3.5)

Frank_Vinneti

First Post
Adept of the Heavenly Blade

An Adept of the Heavenly Blade is a practitionner of the Heaven Speed Techniques. He moves with grace and confidence. His strong mind help him keep his cool in all situation. Adepts are calm, quick thinker and most important of all, deadly.

Requirements:
To qualify to become a Adept of the Heavenly Blade, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Base Will Save: +5
Base Defense Bonus: +5
Skills: Balance 10 ranks, Tumble 10 ranks.
Feats: Archaic Weapon Proficiency, Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Run.
Special: Must have a base speed of at least 35 feet.

Class Information
The following informations pertains to the Adept of the Heavenly Blade prestige class.

Hit Die
The Adept of the Heavenly Blade gains 1d8 hit points per level. The Constitution modifier applies.

Action Points
The Adept of the Heavenly Blade gains a number of action points equal to 6 + one-half his character level, rounded down, everytime he attains a new level in this class.

Class Skills
The Adept of the Heavenly Blade's class skills are as follows.
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Knowledge (current events, popular culture, tactics) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (dance) (Cha), Read/Write Language, Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code:
Level    BAB    Fort    Ref    Will          Class Ability            Def         Rep
1.       +1      +0     +2      +2        Mirage of Speed (1/day),    +1          +0 
                                          Increased Speed (+10 ft.)
2.       +2      +1     +3      +3        Bonus Feat                  +2          +1 
3.       +3      +1     +3      +3        Mirage of Speed (2/day)     +2          +1 
4.       +4      +2     +3      +3        Bonus Feat                  +3          +1 
5.       +5      +2     +4      +4        Mirage of Speed (3/day),    +4          +2 
                                          Increased Speed (+15 ft.)
6.       +6      +3     +5      +5        Body Replacement (1/day)    +4          +2 
7.       +7      +3     +5      +5        Mirage of Speed (4/day)     +5          +2 
8.       +8      +4     +5      +5        Body Replacement (2/day)    +6          +3 
9.       +9      +4     +6      +6        Mirage of Speed (5/day)     +6          +3 
10.      +10     +5     +7      +7        Body Replacement (3/day),   +7          +3 
                                          Increased Speed (+20 ft.)
Class Features
The following features pertains to the Adept of the Heavenly Blade prestige class.

Mirage of Speed: With this ability, a Adept of the Heavenly Blade can create the Illusion that he is moving much faster than he really is, by hypnotizing everyone looking at him in combat. Every single creature with the ability to see (read: not blind) must make a Will save DC (14 + Adept level). If the Mirage of Speed succeed on the enemies, they don't notice his action for the round, and still see him standing still (which he wont be). If the Adept move from his square, all attack directed toward him automatically miss; plus, the Adept can move in and out of every hypnotized creature's square without provoking an attack of opportunity, and every hypnotized creature is considered flat-footed until their next action. This ability last one round, and must be declared at the beginning of the round. Calling upon this ability is a free action, and make the character act out of the initiative grid for the round in which he uses it.

Increase Speed: The Adept of the Heavenly Blade's base speed increase by 10 feet at level one. The increase becomes 15 feet at 5th level, and 15 feet at 10th level. Those speed increase stacks with the Increase Speed talent tree of the fast hero. The Adept does not benefit of this speed increase if he wears a medium armor or heavier, or if he's more than 'lightly loaded'.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd and 4th level, an Adept of the Heavenly Blade gains a bonus feat. This feat must be selected from the following list, and the Adept must me any prerequisite.
Acrobatic, Agile Riposte, Combat Reflex, Combat Throw, Defensive Martial Arts, Dodge, Elusive Target, Focused, Nimble, Stealthy, Weapon Finesse.

Body Replacement: At 6th level, a Adept of the Heavenly Blade can, once per day - as a free action that must be declared at the beginning of the round, use his Body Replacement ability. The Adept must designate an emeny when he calls for the action, and must Delay his action until the enemy attacked him. The attack automatically hit and deals maximum damage (although it doesn't alter the Adept's appearance or clothes). The Adept's body will then become cherry blossoms, and the Adept will automatically be moved to the square beside or behind the opponent, thus catching him or her off-guard (Dex bonus is denied, and considered flat-footed for attack that require the target to be flat-footed) and vulnerable for a full-attack action. This ability can be used 2 times per day at 8th level, and 3 times per day at 10th level. At 10th level, an Adept can chose to spend an action point and only take half damage (rounded up).

-----
Any suggestion? Its not balanced, or you don't like it? I need feedback!

This class is pretty heavily influenced by Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Frankto

Last edited:

Frank_Vinneti

First Post
Look, I know he's strong! I just wanted to show you what a Master of the Heavenly Blade would look like. D20 Modern again, so enjoy. And again, please comment! :cool:

Joshua Stoker (Strong hero 5/Fast hero 7/Dedicated hero 2/Adept of the Heavenly Blade 10): CR 24; Medium-size human, HD 5d8+10 plus 7d8+14 plus 2d6+4 plus 10d8+20; hp 159; Mas 16; Init +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Spd 55 ft.; Defense 31 (32 melee), touch 29, flat-footed 28 (+3 Dex, +16 Class, +2 Armor); BAB +16; Grab +18; Atk +20/+15/+10/+5 melee (2d6+6, mastercraft katana), Atk +18/+13/+8/+3 melee (1d4+5, unarmed); Full Atk +20/+15/+10/+5 melee (2d6+6, mastercraft katana), Atk +18/+13/+8/+3 melee (1d4+5, unarmed); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ Mirage of Speed, Body Replacement, Increase Speed; AL Power, Grace, Family; SV Fort +14, Ref +15, Will +15; AP 8; Rep +6; Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 13.

Occupation: Adventurer (Climb, Jump; Archaic Weapon Proficiency)

Skills: Balance +18 (15), Climb +11 (8), Concentration +8 (6), Escape Artist +14 (11), Handle Animal +5 (4), Hide +14 (11), Jump +16 (13), Listen +8 (7), Knowledge (tactics) +9 (8), Move Silently +13 (10), Sense Motive +13 (12), Sleight of Hand +13 (10), Spot +8 (7), Swim +6 (4), Tumble +18 (15).

Feats: Agile Riposte, Alterness, Archaic Weapon Proficiency, Armor Proficiency (light), Athletic, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Defensive Martial Arts, Dodge, Elusive Target, Exotic Melee Weapon Proficiency (katana), Focused, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Nimble, Run, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Katana).

Talents (Strong): Melee Smash 1, Melee Smash 2, Melee Smash 3

Talents (Fast): Evasion, Uncanny Dodge 1, Uncanny Dodge 2, Increase Speed 1

Talent (Dedicated): Intuition

Possessions: Mastercraft Katana (+1 Attack, +1 Damage), Mastercraft Leather Coat (+1 Defense), casual clothes.

Last edited:

Frank_Vinneti

First Post
No comments yet? C'mon! I need to know what you guys think about all that...

Besides, it doesn't require that much efforts, does it?

Frankto...

PS: BUMP.

FireLance

Legend
Frank, I'm not familar with Samurai Deeper Kyo, so I have a bit of difficulty identifying with the archetype. The name "Adept of the Heavenly Blade" also doesn't sit well with the speed and surprise elements of this PrC. It may be personal bias on my part, but to me "Heavenly Blade" implies some sort of Holy or Celestial power.

That said, the Mirage of Speed is an interesting concept, but the saving throw DC seems a little nonstandard. Most other abilities use the 10 + level + ability modifier formula. Perhaps 10 + level + Cha modifier? The point about the character acting first may also be difficult to implement. Does he shift back to his original initiative count the next round? If so, the turn by turn nature of the d20 round means that he will act twice before some opponents and others will act twice before he does. If it is not critical to the class concept, perhaps it would be better to leave it out.

Body Replacement reminds me of a traditional ability ascribed to ninja to disappear when struck and re-appear to attack from an unexpected angle. It seems a little harsh to me that he has to take maximum damage when struck, but I can live with that.

I can't really comment on the balance as I'm more of a D&D player and I'm not as familiar with the d20 Modern system. I can post more comments if you put up the D&D conversion.

Frank_Vinneti

First Post
The point about the character acting first may also be difficult to implement. Does he shift back to his original initiative count the next round? If so, the turn by turn nature of the d20 round means that he will act twice before some opponents and others will act twice before he does. If it is not critical to the class concept, perhaps it would be better to leave it out.

First, thanks for the comment! And secondly, 'whoa!', what do you mean, leaving this out? The goal here is that he's out of the initiative grid for this round, and that when they try to attack him, he's not there anymore and already slaughtering them! The Mirage of Speed is not just an illusion, you know! As for the Will save, maybe I'll make this 10 + (Base Will Save ÷ 2) + Adept level, I'm not sure yet.

The Body Replacement full-damage thing is necessary, as he leaves huge opening to his enemy. If the character's so worried about his HPs, he'll just have to spend an action point to take half damage.

DnD conversion will be up soon. I don't have the books anymore and I'll have to get my friend to help me

Frankto.

Frank_Vinneti

First Post
Adept of the Heavenly Blade

This is the Adept of the Heavenly Blade class for Dungeons and Dragons. I'll post a NPC later. Enjoy!

Requirements:
To qualify to become a Adept of the Heavenly Blade, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Base Will Save: +5
Skills: Balance 10 ranks, Tumble 10 ranks.
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Martial Weapon Proficiency (all), Run.
Special: Must have a base speed of at least 35 feet.

Class Information
The following informations pertains to the Adept of the Heavenly Blade prestige class.

Hit Die
The Adept of the Heavenly Blade gains 1d8 hit points per level. The Constitution modifier applies.

Class Skills
The Adept of the Heavenly Blade's class skills are as follows.
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand, Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 3 + Int modifier.

Code:
Level  BAB    Fort    Ref    Will     Class Ability 
1.     +1      +0     +2      +2      Mirage of Speed (1/day), Increased Speed (+10 ft.)
2.     +2      +1     +3      +3      Bonus Feat
3.     +3      +1     +3      +3      Mirage of Speed (2/day)
4.     +4      +2     +3      +3      Bonus Feat
5.     +5      +2     +4      +4      Mirage of Speed (3/day), Increased Speed (+15 ft.)
6.     +6      +3     +5      +5      Body Replacement (1/day)
7.     +7      +3     +5      +5      Mirage of Speed (4/day)
8.     +8      +4     +5      +5      Body Replacement (2/day)
9.     +9      +4     +6      +6      Mirage of Speed (5/day)
10.    +10     +5     +7      +7      Body Replacement (3/day), Increased Speed (+20 ft.)
Class Features
The following features pertains to the Adept of the Heavenly Blade prestige class.

Mirage of Speed: With this ability, a Adept of the Heavenly Blade can create the Illusion that he is moving much faster than he really is, by hypnotizing everyone looking at him in combat. Every single creature with the ability to see (read: not blind) must make a Will save DC (14 + Adept level). If the Mirage of Speed succeed on the enemies, they don't notice his action for the round, and still see him standing still (which he wont be). If the Adept move from his square, all attack directed toward him automatically miss; plus, the Adept can move in and out of every hypnotized creature’s square without provoking an attack of opportunity, and every hypnotized creature is considered flat-footed until their next action. This ability last one round, and must be declared at the beginning of the round. Calling upon this ability is a free action, and make the character act out of the initiative grid for the round in which he uses it.

Increase Speed: The Adept of the Heavenly Blade's base speed increase by 10 feet at level one. The increase becomes 15 feet at 5th level, and 15 feet at 10th level. Those speed increase stacks with other speed increase. The Adept does not benefit of this speed increase if he wears a medium armor or heavier, or if he carry more than light load.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd and 4th level, an Adept of the Heavenly Blade gains a bonus feat. This feat must be selected from the following list, and the Adept must me any prerequisite.
Acrobatic, Combat Reflex, Dodge, Focused, Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Nimble, Stealthy, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization.

Body Replacement: At 6th level, a Adept of the Heavenly Blade can, once per day - as a free action that must be declared at the beginning of the round, use his Body Replacement ability. The Adept must designate an emeny when he calls for the action, and must Delay his action until the enemy attacked him. The attack automatically hit and deals maximum damage. The Adept's body will then become cherry blossoms, and the Adept will automatically be moved to the square beside or behind the opponent, thus catching him or her off-guard (Dex bonus is denied, and considered flat-footed for attack that require the target to be flat-footed) and vulnerable for a full-attack action. This ability can be used 2 times per day at 8th level, and 3 times per day at 10th level. At 10th level, an Adept can, once per day, chose to take only half damage (rounded up) by spending a move action.

Last edited:

Frank_Vinneti

First Post
Here's a NPC for DnD: the Guy Who Kills Great Wyrm By Himself But Can't Afford A Longsword!

Rev Guidym (Fighter 7/Monk 4/Adept of the Heavenly Blade 10): CR 21; Medium-size human, HD 7d10+7 plus 4d8+4 plus 10d8+10; hp 150;Init +8 (+4 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Spd 60 ft.; Defense 16 (17 with dodge), touch 16, flat-footed 12 (+4 Dex, +2 Wis); BAB +19; Grab +21; Atk +24/+19/+14/+9 melee (1d10+6 lethal, katana), Atk +21/+16/+11/+6 melee (1d8+4 lethal. Unarmed); Full Atk +24/+19/+14/+9 melee (1d10+6 lethal, katana), Atk +21/+16/+11/+6 melee (1d8+4 lethal, Unarmed), +19/+19/+14/+9/+4 melee (1d8+4 lethal, unarmed [flurry of blows]); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ Mirage of Speed (5/day), Body Replacement (3/day), Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike (1d8), Evasion, Still mind, Ki Strike (magic), Slow Fall (20 ft.); AL L/N; SV Fort +15, Ref +17, Will +17; Str 14, Dex 19, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 13.

Skills: Balance +17 (13), Climb +8 (6), Craft (weaponsmith) +6 (5), Escape Artist +10 (6), Hide +12 (8), Jump +12 (10), Listen +5 (3), Move Silently +11 (7), Sense Motive +17 (15), Spot +5 (3), Survival +6 (4), Tumble +17 (13)

Feats: Armor Proficiency (all), Combat Reflex, Combat Expertise, Cleave, Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana), Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Feint, Iron Will, Martial Weapon Proficiency (all), Power Attack, Run, Weapon Finesse (katana), Weapon Focus (katana), Weapon Specialization (katana and unarmed)

Possessions: Monk’s Outfit, Katana, Purse (15 gp, 11 sp, 20 cp)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads