• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adjudicating Readied Actions

Dr. Zoom

First Post
So Ready will allow me to ready an attack which I can change a little depending upon circumstances, or a spell or magic item or a move? Can I ready an attack and then cast a spell? Can I ready a spell and then use my wand? What do you all say? I still think you would have to differentiate between attacks and spells. What do you think?

IceBear

Explorer
To me, when you say you will ready an attack, you are readying an attack action. Thus, I would allow a swing of a weapon, an unarmed attack, a trip, a grapple, a charge, etc as they are all attack actions, just different forms of attacks.

I would not allow someone who was readying to attack to cast a spell instead or use a wand. I wouldn't let someone who was readying to cast a spell to use a wand instead either.

That said, I do have my house rule where I would allow someone to make a Wis check *IF* it is obvious the trigger isn't going to happen this round to then allow the character to take a partial action as a delay.

So, if someone was readying to attack the wizard if the wizard cast a spell, then I'd allow that person to make a Wis check (DC 15) if the wizard moved away to then cast a spell at the wizard instead.

IceBear

Krystoff

First Post
To me, when you say you will ready an attack, you are readying an attack action. Thus, I would allow a swing of a weapon, an unarmed attack, a trip, a grapple, a charge, etc as they are all attack actions, just different forms of attacks.

Thats what I was thinking. Casting a Spell is an action in and of itself so no changing to an Attack action or some other action.

kreynolds

First Post
Spider said:
Let's say I want to ready a counterspell. If I can't counterspell a spell he's casting (I don't have Dispel Magic, or the same spell), can I cast something else?

Only if you have the Improved Counterspell feat from the FRCS. That allows you to counterspell with any spell of the same school.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads