• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adjudicating the Animal Companion

Drobney Falcor

First Post
Let me start off by saying that I've read the rules for an animal companions...extensively. I understand how the level adjustments work for acquiring an animal companion of a stronger variety. Now then...
After adventuring with my wolf for a few levels (6 I think), I decided it was time for a stronger friend. I wanted to take full advantage of this opportunity and scoured for a flying animal of medium size (I'm a gnome). I noticed that an eagle, if raised to 2-3HD, would become medium sized. So i looked at the list of alternative animal companions and saw that most of the ones within my grasp (4th level requirement with a -3 towards effective druid level in advancement) were at 3HD. So I have now been the companion of a 3HD medium eagle for one session. I still used the -3 adjustment and thought nothing more of it until I cam across this.

Rules of the Game: Animals (Part Four)

-Under Acquiring an Animal Companion
"The prospective companion cannot be an advanced animal, nor can it be another character's animal companion or another character's familiar."

I thought that it wouldn't be breaking any rules if I still tried to balance out the power difference. My question is, would it be wise to continue playing with it? I know the people I game with wouldn't mind but I don't want to feel overpowered if this would be a problem. (even though druids are already considered overpowered by some...) In the one session I did play with it I didn't see any noticeable domination but the rules are as clear as day. (I'm a real rules guy and wouldn't mind at all trading in my animal companion.)

I think that's all but if I left something out let me know.

Dandu

First Post
The rules also say that a Fleshraker is a perfectly acceptable animal companion, and we all know how well that works out in actual practice...

Drobney Falcor

First Post
The rules also say that a Fleshraker is a perfectly acceptable animal companion, and we all know how well that works out in actual practice...

Wow, that is a nasty little bugger. I certainly wouldn't allow that in my campaign. At least not without a bigger penalty.

Still...I am aware that some rules might not be entirely thought out. I guess a better question would be to ask if anyone could see any possible abuse with the route I've taken or if it would be completely reasonable to keep it as is.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
If I was your DM, I'd permit it without blinking an eye.

"A Medium-sized Eagle does not a game break..."

With that said, you are in violation of RAW. If no one else is bothered by it, enjoy!

Arrowhawk

First Post
. I noticed that an eagle, if raised to 2-3HD, would become medium sized. So i looked at the list of alternative animal companions and saw that most of the ones within my grasp (4th level requirement with a -3 towards effective druid level in advancement) were at 3HD. So I have now been the companion of a 3HD medium eagle for one session. I still used the -3 adjustment and thought nothing more of it until I cam across this

I'm not sure I follow. The bonus HD an animal gets from being an AC do not affect its size. The rules explicitly state this. So I'm not sure how you are acquiring a medium eagle?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'm not sure I follow. The bonus HD an animal gets from being an AC do not affect its size. The rules explicitly state this. So I'm not sure how you are acquiring a medium eagle?
That's what he's saying. He saw "Added HD = Larger Size" from the animal stat block in the MM first, than learned the AC rule, so he made a mistake.

He's just asking now that he knows he made a mistake, what he should do about it.

Drobney Falcor

First Post

As I said before, I have read the animal companion rules several times. I already know that bonus HD granted from being a companion does not count towards increasing an animals size. What I did was increase the eagle's size before I befriended it (I'm a player and a DM in a rotation of 3 DMs). It was during my internet surfing that I discovered that the prospective companion cannot be an advanced animal when you acquire it.

PureGoldx58

First Post
I also made that mistake recently but in the bonus HD made it advance. No players seemed to care that I had a Gargantuan snake that was effectively a grapple spell, but the DM sure did. I fixed the problem anyway by awakening it.

It should definitely be spelled out in a very noticeable way that advanced animals do not a companion make. Like bolded and highlighted and flashing...

the Jester

Legend
I always approach issues like this by asking myself, "How could I, as a dm, make a broken npc by exploiting this ruling?"

If I come up with unacceptable answers, I won't allow it.

In this case, a villainous druid with the advanced constrictor PureGoldx58 mentioned would be... bad.

So I would roll it back and rule that the eagle could not be advanced.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads